Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank-you Matador. I'll check it out. The build is really clean...really you guys did such a fantastic job it's paint by numbers, so I'm not sure why I'm having the challenge.

Thanks again,

Mike

Found the problem. I have a Texas components vishay bulk foil resistor whose top was just touching the mic housing when I closed up the mic. The top of the resistor is metal and was shorting out.

Mic passes signal now! Waiting on high end capsule.

Thanks all for the support.

Mike

What tweaks would be necessary to the microphone to use it with a GE 5751 tube?
Stephen Paul recommended them over the 6072 in one article for use in C12 type microphones, as they should be lower noise and less microphonic, and still comparably cheap to the 6072's

Best

Georg

geebeeVIE said:
Stephen Paul recommended them over the 6072 in one article for use in C12 type microphones, as they should be lower noise and less microphonic, and still comparably cheap to the 6072's

Best

Georg

Good tube and still made by people. But the GE NOS is not cheap!

geebeeVIE said:

Best

Georg

Based on my eyeball of the tube data, it should drop in without modification.  The -1V bias point looks good, and it should idle pretty close to the same point as a 6072A tube.

The curves look a bit non-linear at these low B+ and idle currents:  I think this was designed more for a 200V+ B+ supply idling up near several milliamps. 

But it should work.

I read whole thread about swapping tube for 12AT7. What about UBC81 tube ? I think that AMI use it in some of their designs ...

Hi!

I just built mine with a Tim Campbell CT12. It sounds fantastic in Omni and Figure-8. Problem is when I put it in Cardioid, it seems to actually still be in Omni, but a little bit quieter. Do you have any idea why this might be? Could it be that the capsule is the wrong way round?

Thanks for making the kit! It was a very fun build and a great mic.

Pran

Pran have you checked your polarization voltages and made sure you have no contamination or shorts anywhere?
Have you made sure that your backplate connections are correct?
A cardioid pattern does allow sound to enter the rear of the capsule but the sound from the rear should be lower and darker.
The front membrane in cardioid should be louder than omni.

If you can't find another cause please contact me.

Hi.  I am looking for a pair of the best C12 clones I can get.  I was interested in the flea 12 but then I came across this thread.  Would there be any sonic advantages to using the flea 12 over this diy kit?  And is there anywhere I can buy a complete mic with  this kit and the Tim Campbell capsule?  I have no experience building mics.  Thanks.

"Best" really depends on your personal preferences and objectives.  The flea body is machined and finished to a much higher standard than a low-cost mass produced Chinese body like we utilize.  The headbasket, body, and capsule mount components will all be exactly like the original vintage microphone.

If you simply want the best in all regards, there is no question the flea parts are superior.

The Tim Campbell capsule is easy to source, and all you need to do is contact him to discuss your needs.  A bit of patience or persistence may be necessary depending on the current demand.  But, like most good things, you may need to wait a bit to get yours.

As for the circuit implementation, we feel our solution is very solid and repeatable and the entire project was designed to be affordable enough for "regular" recordists to obtain.

Sonically, I'm sure the dimensions, shape, and materials of the body all effect the final sound of the mic, but in what specific ways, i only have a small number of direct tests and a lot of internet opinions to go from.

At the end of the day, the fun and adventure of diy is being able to decide for yourself how you want to spec and build the mic.  Then, if the sound is not where you envisioned, you can make modifications until you are happy.

Diegel said:
Hi.  I am looking for a pair of the best C12 clones I can get.  I was interested in the flea 12 but then I came across this thread.  Would there be any sonic advantages to using the flea 12 over this diy kit?  And is there anywhere I can buy a complete mic with  this kit and the Tim Campbell capsule?  I have no experience building mics.  Thanks.

Matador said:
This is the official build and support thread for the C12 Clone project.  All build related materials and pics will be posted first, and please feel free to post any technical, BOM, or assembly related questions.  I'll update this if there are any changes or discoveries which are of a general interest to all builders.

Latest schematic bundle:

C12 Schematic Bundle - Version 3

C12 BOM - Version 3

Hi Matador,

I just ordered a C12 PCB from 939 to redo an old apex 460. Was looking at the BOM and saw the updates and have made a xls. I think this is a correct update to the original that will be correct with the new revisions to the PCBs. Could you have a look and see if you agree before I order? I am so excited to do the build! I appreciate so much what you and Chunger have done here! Looking forward to my 2nd mic build!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8vhcyiaw4t1866/Mouser%20C12%20BOM.xls?dl=0

and here is the one for Mouser Directly

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8vhcyiaw4t1866/Mouser%20C12%20BOM.xls?dl=0

Thanks

Andy Baker

Hi guys,

I'm new to the wedsite and microphone building / modding in general so hopefully this isn't a stupid question.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Is it possible to easily upgrade a Peluso p12 mic with a Tim Campbell capsule and AMI T14 transformer?

Many thanks,

Rich

The more I look into this the more I want to do it from scratch. The trouble is I'm based in the UK. If any are available I'd love to buy one of your capsules Tim. I can get my hands on an AMI transformer from Germany but the rest is a bit trickier.
The studio 939 kits seem to be unavailable.. Are these likely to come back in?

Back