Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posting this in case it may help someone with their build...

I was having an issue with polar patterns with one of a pair of mics as several others have had with their builds. Having gone through pretty much everything I could find to resolve the issue I had no luck.

Short and sweet of it...the thread lock solution that was applied to the screw which connects the wire to the rear diaphragm/membrane had leaked between the washer and the brass ring hence insulating against continuity. Solution was to remove the screw (carefully) and clean off the thread lock solution. Once I reinstalled, everything was working as it should.

Both mics are using Beesneez CK12 with Beesneez 13:1 toroidal transformer. Fantastic combination!

Following up on earlier reports from @andYz00m (post 2749), @doqmemory (2752) and my own post of the BadAxx (2751), here are pics of a NOS that arrived this week. Haven't tried it yet. I was surprised to see a Groove Tube 12AU7 in mine (marketing materials say "genuine microphone grade 6072A vacuum tube"). The NOS board is also labeled "HST-12AD01" instead of "HST-11A" like the BadAxx, with a different layout and component values.

I had trouble getting good capsule images (the mylar seems thicker?) but hopefully the hole patterns are visible.

Anyone else have a NOS with differences?

Attachments

• DSC06024-26.JPG
    DSC06024-26.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC06030.jpg
    DSC06030.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC06032.jpg
    DSC06032.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC06033-34.jpg
    DSC06033-34.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 71
Dear All,

I built 2 microphones back in 2013, and they've been working fine since then.
We moved in a new studio a year ago, and, with the very quiet environnement (a lot quieter than before), I can hear both the PSU acoustically humming when powered. I strongly suspect the transformers... Those are the only PSU doing this in the studio...
What do you think, should I change them?
Thanks a lot,
Best,

Dear All,

I built 2 microphones back in 2013, and they've been working fine since then.
We moved in a new studio a year ago, and, with the very quiet environnement (a lot quieter than before), I can hear both the PSU acoustically humming when powered. I strongly suspect the transformers... Those are the only PSU doing this in the studio...
What do you think, should I change them?
Thanks a lot,
Best,
I had my heater transformer go bad in an EF-47 build. Loud hum, manipulating or removing the cover lessened it but it didn't go away until I replaced the transformer

I had my heater transformer go bad in an EF-47 build. Loud hum, manipulating or removing the cover lessened it but it didn't go away until I replaced the transformer
I might need to replace the PSU transformers then... Do you guys have already encounter this issue and know a reference of some reliable transformer that would fit in the case? I live in a 230/240v country ;)
Thanks 🙏

Hi. I bought this Maiku capsule to use with the Matador C12 build. Not being an expert I wonder if anyone could advise on the attachment of the two extra wires would be?

Attachments

• MAIKU+CK12+Capsule.png
    MAIKU+CK12+Capsule.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 47
Heres some beauty shots of the Heiserman HK12 capsule. Looks very nice. Unfortunately, I didnt order the capsule mount from Heiserman and it didn't come with one. :/

So now I wait for the mount for another week. The mounting holes on the bad axx are not compatible with the screw spacing on the Heiserman capsule mounting holes.

Attachments

• IMG_1438.JPEG
    IMG_1438.JPEG
    99.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1437.JPEG
    IMG_1437.JPEG
    146.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1436.JPEG
    IMG_1436.JPEG
    140.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Heres some beauty shots of the Heiserman HK12 capsule. Looks very nice. Unfortunately, I didnt order the capsule mount from Heiserman and it didn't come with one. :/

So now I wait for the mount for another week. The mounting holes on the bad axx are not compatible with the screw spacing on the Heiserman capsule mounting holes.
That looks nice! Also good to know because I don't have a ck12 capsule mount either.

I might need to replace the PSU transformers then... Do you guys have already encounter this issue and know a reference of some reliable transformer that would fit in the case? I live in a 230/240v country ;)
Thanks 🙏
I have good quality mains transformers with dual secondaries (200v and 10v) input is 110/220v

Alright, shes in, looking great. The mount from MicParts was awesome, also they have great service. I did have to drill press a new mounting hole into the top plate as the BadAxx uses two screws off center and not a single centered hole.

Was able to get B+ to 120 easily and the heater was still the same as I didnt change tubes. So were all good! Now off to the studio to test! Will send some audio samples.

Attachments

• IMG_1449.JPEG
    IMG_1449.JPEG
    119.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1448.JPEG
    IMG_1448.JPEG
    162.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1446.JPEG
    IMG_1446.JPEG
    139.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1447.JPEG
    IMG_1447.JPEG
    122.1 KB · Views: 38
I think its a bit boomy (resonance) and it feels a bit dull in the high end (maybe im just used to bright and crispy mics?). I going to try the other head basket I have and see if that changes the resonance at all.

Its a bit more even freq wise in Omni, but in Cardioid feels a bit darker.

Audio Samples (forgive the performances, this was recorded hastily) Sig chain: VP28-NO EQ- Light limiting to bring level up. All recorded in cardioid.

Drums Overhead

Electric guitar (jazzmaster, princeton)

Accoustic guitar (about 18" aimed at 12th fret) has some LA-2A on there on the way in.

I want to spend more time testing tonight.

Alright, well, nobody asked for this, but I had more time at the studio tonight to test, and I was alone...

So THIS HAPPENED. Forgive me, I have written an idiot song.

All parts recorded with the C12 clone, into a 1073DPX, no EQ. Acc git and vocal into LA-2A (2-4dB reduction).

A bit of Lexicon 408 and then whole thing into the Smart C1. NO EQ.

Im really pleased with the way the mic sounds! My idiot voice on the other hand...

Back