Official Forssell Limiter Build thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine coming along..

fsc.jpg

Wow looks amazing!!
what are those transistors?? i remember the one i build used only 1!
looks very nice plans on releasing it?

keep the work!

Guys i'm having some troubles with my Opto.
When passing a mono mix it only compresses bass and bass drums!????

what the heck?

[quote author="khstudio"]The threshold is wired WRONG on the PCB & should go from left to right (low=no compression, to high) 100KA is correct. This is easy to fix when wiring & NOT PCB mounting. [/quote]So a Rev Log 100k pot should be used if we want our threshold to be from right to left?
I'd just prefer to keep it a similar fashion to most of my other gear.

[quote author="Lowfreq"][quote author="khstudio"]The threshold is wired WRONG on the PCB & should go from left to right (low=no compression, to high) 100KA is correct. This is easy to fix when wiring & NOT PCB mounting. [/quote]So a Rev Log 100k pot should be used if we want our threshold to be from right to left?
I'd just prefer to keep it a similar fashion to most of my other gear.[/quote]

The "Original" part is correct, just the "Direction" was wrong.
I don't have my notes in front of me but if I posted "100kA"... it's probably not REV LOG.

Cool. Cheers Kev.

Did anyone have any luck with the attack and release controls?
They're definitley sensitive. Did the Log versions work better?
I may try a different value, see how that turns out.

And I may be missing things, but what am I meant to be doing with calibrating the two optos? Anyone got a definite calibration guide?
Where and what am I meant to be measuring? Voltage?.....

I've been messing round with some different DOA's, and I'm quite surprised at how much I like the melcors........ They seem to get a lot of poo poo round here, but on voice they had a cool gritty sound about them, that my jlm99v's didn't have, tho I'm sure the 99v would be great on acoustic guitars and such.

Does anyone else have a faint boinging/hum sound when using this compressor? I can really hear it when I use a longer release...... All my forssell builds have it....... :evil:

Is it an opto thing?

[quote author="SIXTYNINER"]cooooooool project guys!!!
someone can help me
about get pcb and "bom" list about?
thanks in advance
:thumb:[/quote]

Are you about to get a pcb or is the question in regards to where to get a pcb?
Dito on the "bom" List.

no offense but is english a second language?

Look in the meta for BOM or search for FFopto bom and or Greg's lists as a start, PCB's pop up in the Black market here ever so often. Sometimes Gustav will do a special run of them, he will post that in the B.M. also .

Kevin

Did anyone try using mnats board layout for this? I saw it posted earlier in the thread and it looked good, quite compact but I'm pretty sure it's just the guts of the compressor and no makeup or anything like that. I just never heard anything from it. mnats?

Ken-

[quote author="Lowfreq"]Does anyone else have a faint boinging/hum sound when using this compressor? I can really hear it when I use a longer release...... All my forssell builds have it....... :evil:

Is it an opto thing?[/quote]

I haven't really noticed this but I also haven't used mine very much... I need ti go back & tweek a few things.

This comp. can be set up a lot of different ways... it is definitely a DIY build.
GOD knows I spent way too much time studying & building mine.

2 things:

I could never get the "stereo Link" to work properly or sound good at all :sad:

& yes the controls are sensitive.
I do remember posting some info about some of my finding but don't remember now, too many other projects & shit to do so I haven't opened it up for a while.
I remember that I didn't move the attack & release much past their starting point... which I think keeps it (mostly) Opto dependent & very FAST!

[quote author="khstudio"]I remember that I didn't move the attack & release much past their starting point...[/quote] I'm pretty much the same with my settings. It's only the release pot that I might change. It's pretty long.

I've also skipped the input DOA on the board I was having issues with a while back (I fixed the issue but wanted to experiment after reading kevs posts), and tried a cinemag CMLI-15/15B feeding the 4.99k.
Compared to the other board(both using same DOA's and components) the cinemag loaded one sounds so much better. More alive and 3d. Silkier high end would be the best way to describe it. The other one sounded nice but a little blander/boring............

The cinemag comp, would definitley be the pick for doing something special to vocals :cool:

I'll try an output transformer on it soon hopefully.

[quote author="3nity"]Hey Peter will the 500 series Forssell ever be available?
Thanks.[/quote]

I suppose it all depends on numbers and if it's OK with Fred.

peter

Did anyone ever get a VU meter going as the GR meter for one of these?

I've got one built and working, but without any metering. I really want to use one of my spare VUs for this. Here's Fred's suggestions to that end:

[quote author=Fred Forssell]
If you want to use a movement type VU meter, then you need to rethink the GR meter control circuit.
When I have used VU meters in the past (a long time ago) I used a 500k lin pot connected across the meter
with its wiper connected to +24V (this is the GR zero adj). One side of the meter also goes through
a resistor to ground (something like 10-30k ohms) and the other side of the meter also goes through
the LDR cell to ground (not +24V as I show it in the schematic for the LED meter). You'll have to mess around
with the values, but I think these are reasonable accurate.
[/quote]

Anyone try it?

Latest posts

Back