Oktava MK-319 output level increase.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't understand that "adding a few components that cost pennies" is a very significant part of an engineer's work. A scientist may design a circuit that works superbly, but it takes an engineer to make it a manufacturable product.
Regarding the U87 circuit, you may want to think why it's been replaced by a more complex circuit in the U89.
Maybe as a result of the complication of the scheme, U89 did not become as popular as U87?

Sorry.
- Why did they do it that way ?
I can't tell you why they did everything they did, but I can tell you that the addition of these two resistors allows them to save on selecting FET's, and maybe allow them to use a different FET if the one they originally specified becomes unavailable, either because EoL or the factory caught fire.

Maybe as a result of the complication of the scheme, U89 did not become as popular as U87?
I didn't ask you why or if the U89 is less popular than the U87, but why did the engineers made the decision.
That's because it allowed them to use unselected FET's; selecting FET's is a costly process, much more costly than adding a bunch of components.

very unlikely I would say. The user doesn't know about what's going on under the hood and doesn't care if it sounds right.

I can't tell you why they did everything they did, but I can tell you that the addition of these two resistors allows them to save on selecting FET's,
This microphone is made from quality components (body painting, etc.).
Surely it is not very cheap in production, but this microphone is sold at an inexpensive price ..
Probably this is a very rich plant, if it allows itself such extravagance,
Why shouldn't they also be allowed to choose a field effect transistor?
and maybe allow them to use a different FET if the one they originally specified becomes unavailable, either because EoL or the factory caught fire.
Do you think there are not enough fetas to manufacture these mics, they are hugely popular and sell like hotcakes (to take such action) ??

I didn't ask you why or if the U89 is less popular than the U87, but why did the engineers made the decision.
Perhaps at the time of the development of U89 there were octave engineers:)

That's because it allowed them to use unselected FET's; selecting FET's is a costly process, much more costly than adding a bunch of components.
Perhaps some principles are at work:
How much I spent, so much I got ..
As soon as they start to economize (for example, on the choice of feta) for the sake of cheaper prices, the microphone becomes less successful commercially and acoustically.
Perhaps people somehow hear it .. and make their choice ..

xeawr

very unlikely I would say. The user doesn't know about what's going on under the hood and doesn't care if it sounds right.

Yes, the user most likely does not care what is inside the microphone, the main thing is the sound of the microphone.
Perhaps for this reason, U87 is much more popular than U89?

Last edited:

xeawr

Yes, the user most likely does not care what is inside the microphone, the main thing is the sound of the microphone.
Perhaps for this reason, U87 is much more popular than U89?
maybe? I have worked a lot with both (lots of tracking and mixing) and occasionally the U89 did sound nice, but the U87 sounded a lot smoother and took EQ better. The U89 was duller and if you boosted the high end for a "modern sound" the coarseness and graininess became too apparent. It also sounds a bit more "lifeless" and "sterile" to me. I know many colleagues feel the same way about it. Many even say it's (sonically) not a real Neumann. I understand their point...
...maybe that's a (/the?) reason why the U87 is more popular?

Probably so.
The paradox is that the most "respected" microphones do not have these "rakes" in the form of "additional" parts that allow using unselected components.

On the flipside, many of those 'most "respected" microphones' have an extra digit (or two) in the price...

On the flipside, many of those 'most "respected" microphones' have an extra digit (or two) in the price...
Of course, we pay for the fact that the factory selects the components corresponding to a good circuit and, accordingly, for good sound.
And without additional figures in the price, we can only buy a microphone with "additional details" .. and a bunch of industrial compromises .. which are hardly related to good sound ..

Back