On hifi

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought...

Scientific studies in the pharma sector have shown that placebo effect was around 25% in 1950, going steadily up to 50% by 2000. I don't have current numbers on hand, but I suppose it didn't decline after 2000.

So, what's an eager marketing person to do?

Sell objective features, or appeal to deeper emotions?

The one thing that changed considerably is the graph. Last millennium, nearly all sales graphs showed a typical Gauss curve. Since 1980, most of these graphs no longer show the one Gauss hump, but they show two humps.

As to why, I have no clue. It's clear however, that the money is made on the low end and the high end. Average products no longer work, sales wise.

The strange thing is, this applies to the hifi market as well as most other markets.

rob_gould said:
But I feel sometimes like these conversations suggest that the high end stuff doesn't actually sound that good.
The problem is that the manufacturers that are authentically concerned with objective performance, like Mc Intosh Labs, are perverted by the need to nurture the clients' appetite for fantasy.

abbey road d enfer said:
The problem is that the manufacturers that are authentically concerned with objective performance, like Mc Intosh Labs, are perverted by the need to nurture the clients' appetite for fantasy.
+1

amen...

JR

Comparing pro audio to consumer hi-fi isn’t fair. The goals of pro audio are relatively clear. The gear is a tool to help achieve a commercial goal. Selling a recording or putting on a show.

Hi-fi is much more messy. Us pro audio folks can stand apart from value judgements on the content. We want the same thing whether we like the content or not. When you are listening to music you are making a value judgement. You like it.

Hi-fi has aspects of fashion. I think that’s a better analogy. Everyone wears clothes. What the individual wears is a personal choice that reflects many complex socio economic factors.

I know a few high end Hi fi people that I like and respect. It’s a different world and I’m mostly a numbers and accuracy guy but I’ve had fun listening to systems that aren’t accurate.

cyrano said:
Just a thought...

Scientific studies in the pharma sector have shown that placebo effect was around 25% in 1950, going steadily up to 50% by 2000. I don't have current numbers on hand, but I suppose it didn't decline after 2000.
Interesting, in the 1950 world we were pretty much surrounded by reality.... Now we are almost exposed to more fantasy than reality, that could affect thinking (or not). 
So, what's an eager marketing person to do?

Sell objective features, or appeal to deeper emotions?

The one thing that changed considerably is the graph. Last millennium, nearly all sales graphs showed a typical Gauss curve. Since 1980, most of these graphs no longer show the one Gauss hump, but they show two humps.
I haven't seen that, but logical I guess...
As to why, I have no clue. It's clear however, that the money is made on the low end and the high end. Average products no longer work, sales wise.
actually the money is made on the low end, because that is where the vast majority of customers are.
The strange thing is, this applies to the hifi market as well as most other markets.
No accident that low end brands purchase high end brands often after they suffer economic problems.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
actually the money is made on the low end, because that is where the vast majority of customers are.
Mr Darty, who founded the eponym chain, said: "We must sell to the rich, because they have money, we must sell to the poor, because they are many". Amen.  :)

Latest posts

Back