one more fader question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all........

How standardized are fader slotted mounting plates? If I take the plate off of an old console carcas, will modern P&G faders line up with the two mounting holes? Or did every console manufacturer place an order for custom mounting fittings on their faders?

I'm building a small table top box for mounting a pair of master L&R faders, but the slotted metal plate (which the fader also mounts to) is the only item that I can't see fabricating on my own. My only idea so far is to borrow the plates from a dead console (you can't take two steps without tripping over a dead console carcas here in LA) But what are the odds that the mounting holes on this old plate will line up with the two mounting screws on a modern P&G fader?

This is the type of piece that I would prefer to just take to a fabricating shop, but its so small and simple that they could never charge enough to make it worth their while. (how much could you charge for a 7" x 2" piece of 3/32" steel or aluminum with two screw holes and a 120mm long slot?) This is one of the big problems of DIY projects; anything that is beyond your skill level (or requires heavy equipment) is usually too small of a job for any shop to be interested.

Were all 100mm faders designed for a standard mounting configuration? Or do I need to carry around a sketch of the current P&G measurements and compare them to the plates on each console shell I come across? Using an old plate has another advantage; it will have the graduated markings for the log taper of a typical fader. Etching those into a single plate by hand would be a real PITA.

You might want to look into having Front Panel Express make this piece for you. I would imagine that they would not be too expensive. FPE is where most of the LAB members have their panels CNC'd. I believe the URL is http://www.frontpanelexpress.com

Ian

Latest posts

Back