OPA Alice Circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jules Ryckebusch is responsible for this one, however it's not like he invented it. There has been many takes on the circuit, one of which @rogs is responsible for. I believe opa Alice started in micbuilders group.

The version for LDC with polarizing voltage for the capsule is inspired by Røde's mics.

It is just a simplest possible impedance converter using an opamp. You can come up with it just using spec sheet of an opamp and basic knowledge. "Tricky" part is to find low current, quiet fet input opamp.

Dual is for dual output mics like TL Sphere, or AA 818.

Last edited:
The reference to 'Alice' came from Jules' acknowledgement of the contribution that Scott Helmke's original 'Alice' mic project had made as a starter project for mic builders, some time back (See here: Alice Microphone )
I would have originally purchased one of the Alice OPA PCBs from JLI, but their shipping costs outside of the US are too high for my pocket, so I took the OPA164* op-amp that Jules had used, and created a series of simple stripboard mic projects of my own.
Simpler than Jules' Alice OPA realisations, by using single sided audio output (Output is still impedance balanced though )
I've been quite pleased with the results... ( Some notes here: OPIC Impedance Converter )

Last edited:
The single OPA circuit would be good enough. You could also use a little bit gain if needed to compensate, guess that wouldn't add too much noise (or lower the input impedance). An output transformer could also be added, there are many options.
I got few PCB's from PCBWay including the hex inverter power supply:
https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Dual_OPA__Alice__Microphone_Circuit.htmlhttps://www.pcbway.com/project/shar...age_Multiplier_for_Condenser_Microphones.html
For some reason my microphone starts producing noise from the multiplier quite easily, maybe a startup issue with the power supply (P48).

So there is now everything Alice - mics, mic preamps and mixers. I don't think the two latter are related to microphones anyway.

I don't understand this (what Scott Helmke wrote): - Somehow it's hard to convey the actual size in photos... that's one reason why this mic is named "Alice".

Latest posts

Back