OPT ultralinear taps, which end?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco Volante

Pardon me if this is banal, I'm just having so much fun finally getting into the fine art of winding transformers!

Studying the literature on the subject, I am somewhat confused:
Which end do you count the 48 or 20 or 25% from?

For example: CJ seems to place his g2-taps 20% from the anode end (for guitar amps). Morgan Jones "Valve Amplifers" seem to count from B+ end of coil.
Old schemos rarely agree either...
Thanks, Viggo

From the anode ends, not the middle. I've also seen them defined as 80%, then it would be the other way around.

Vielen dank;-)
Volker, do you have a calculator/spreadsheet/program for calculating transformers you can recommend? I am trying to read up on the math of it, and you were so quick to help me out earlier?
Cheers, Viggo

Alas, "Table 1" in this interesting article counts from the B+ end... Confusion is total.
Well, since I'm rolling my own, I can make taps from either end and measure (power, distortion, linearity) both ways once I get the amp together...
43% turns seems to be the recommended ratio for hi-fi. I guess guitar amps would often opt to tap closer to pentode operation (20-25%) for increased power?

Cheers

Having a switch with a bunch of screen tap points would be cool, would have to be a good switch.

I think McIntosh use to cross the screen taps to the tubes , but their windings were unusual with part of the transformer sitting under the cathode.

Sunn had a few UL guitar and bass amps I do believe.

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines, I just might have the right Elma-switch lurking somewhere.
The Quad II (of which I own a pair) also has a part of the transformer in the cathode end...

Back