Orange Drop caps

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emrr

There's already some feeding frenzy over the 'discontinuation' of the line, after all these years.  I've noticed resellers trying to move old stock at a premium. 

It's really a brand name ownership change, a year in progress.  2 days ago a search at mouser showed only 'end of life', with the typical high price we've gotten used to seeing over the last 5 years or so.  Now they are back, but only at huge quantities.  Probably get in the pipeline soon.

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/_/N-9x371?P=1z0wqusZ1z0x810Z1yznbzs&Keyword=orange+drop&FS=True

press:

http://www.cde.com/press-room/orange-drop-film-capacitors-sbelectronics.php

http://www.sbelectronics.com/2012/10/sbe-announces-the-sale-of-the-orange-drop-product-line-to-cornell-dubilier-cde/

They were just your average film cap in the end. I'm almost certain the only reason they ever got popular and "sounded so good" was that bright orange color.

But thanks for the information. If there ever was a good time to hoard the stock, this would be it. And then we wait a decade or two and start fishing.

15 years ago they were one of few easily available options in an axial polyprop high voltage cap.  The rest of the consumer market was the upscale audiophile stuff, costing tons more.  We have many more options now.  I still like them fine, other than the price.  I've never found an old bad one in an audio amp either.  If they went away, the tragedy would probably mainly be the loss of another axial option. 

Most rock or blues guitar players hate them in there amps. The Metal, Country and Jazz guys love 'em and so does the the middle of the road HiFi buff. They are a quality cap no doubt but there are options.

I never knew they were anything special until people started saying they were ,
otherwise I have a few kicking around over the years as they seemed  " common "

I really do like them in guitar amps. Granted there are loads of alternatives, but it's just my honest experience that most of the other common poly caps seem to sit nicer in recording gear than overdriven guitar amps. For reasons that make little sense to me, and maybe it's nothing more than placebo, the 715p orange drop just always feels more alive sounding to me in guitar amp circuits I've made.  There are many variables in a circuit, but I just always come back to orange drops (well maybe not for too much longer) when it comes to AB763's and similar circuits

I've never had any luck with orange drops in guitar amps. They were always very bright and hifi compared to similar "nice" caps. Most of the amps I've built we're inheritently bright amps though and maybe something darker could benefit. For something smoother and more "vintage" feeling WMF caps are absolutely great for current production.  They're like Sozo's little affordable brother.

Trainwreck amps and the Echoplex EP-3 both used orange drops with great results.

I think of these for tube preamps, compressors, etc.  I am still happy with a Bassman I rebuilt using 715P.  But I don't think polypropylene when I think instrument amps anyway.  Actually I haven't thought about instrument amp building in years.  Used to be polyester was an amp recommendation for vintage sound, I have no idea what current taste is.  We now have all the PIO options in the last decade. 

I think once the pipeline starts flowing the availability will be what it was. I have no fear. I also have boxes full of 'em, at most guitar amp values.

As the thread is showing sound is subjective. But for a moment my experiences shared. After years of guitar teching and amp modding and repair I have the following to report:

Most blues and rock players prefer the cheaper Xicon Poly caps. The country and jazz players love the Orange Drops. The OD caps are also much better quality and more consistent I have never had a bad one.

I have had players ask me to please put the grit back in there amps after a recap job. The answer is that I misjudged the player and should have used Xicons which are also a lot cheaper. So "no problem I can do that for you come back tomorrow".

There is no debate on one thing the Orange Drops are the brightest and cleanest sonic solution. I can prove this beyond a doubt. If you take two Fender amps and recap one with OD caps it will be the brighter cleaner sounding one.

Fact is not all players want this.

Back