Origins of MELCOR DOA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owel

People always seem to refer to the Melcor discreate op-amp as "Peter C's Melcor."

Is this circuit designed by Peter C? or is Melcor is/was/used to be a real audio company? Is there a real Melcor discrete opamp product?

I'm just curious. Thanks.

Melcor was an actual company. The Melcor opamp (and mic preamp etc.) was made by Melcor Audio Products.

yep,
... and the unit we talk of is the Melcor 1731.

A google search for diy descrete opamps found :

http://recording.org/users/kev/discrete_op-amps.htm

:wink:

Thanks for the answers....

I finally populated my Melcor PCBs and tested it. These are the numbers I'm getting:

Power Supply voltage: +/- 18V
Max output Voltage before signs of clipping: 12.007 Vrms (+23dBu)

Is this on par with the other's results?

What's the max supply voltage of the Melcor DOA?

It's still cool at +/-18V. The transistors Vce are rated at 40V max, so I think this is a safe stopping point. :) +/- 18 is about 36V from (+) rail to (-) rail.

> Power Supply voltage: +/- 18V; Max output Voltage before signs of clipping: 12.007 Vrms (+23dBu); Is this on par with the other's results?

Dunno about others, but you are not going to do any better. 12.007Vsine * √2 = 16.980V peak. Supply voltage is 18V. 18-16.98= 1.02V loss from theoretical. Or if you could reach theoretical zero-loss for 18V supply, you would get 0.5dB higher output. Insignificant.

Latest posts

Back