OT: a nostalgic comment

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kent

Last night I had a rehearsal with a new band I'm starting. That along with other summer stuff with the kids has made me more of a lurker around here lately. Hopefully that'll change come winter. Anyway...

I hadn't played a show or with a band for almost 2 years now. The joy it brought me being involved with making the music again was tremendous. Like I tell my wife, when you fire up a new piece of DIY gear for the first time and something comes out the other end it can be great fun. Just don't forget the reason we do it in the first place. Music.

Just thinking out loud,
kent

Cheers, Kent. I know how you feel.

My last band split 11 years ago and I haven't had any luck in getting something together since then--although I haven't always tried very hard. I haven't been onstage since '93. But I haven't given up on the idea of doing it again someday. The handful of times I've managed to jam with other people over the past few years, it's felt good.

Making music is where it all starts.
I don't make much of my own but I do help other people, both technically and musically.

I just love the track laying process ... especially a brand spanking new song that is being written as we record. They don't always work out but it is fun being there as it comes alive.
It is probably better to have a song well sorted before you press record.

I'm with you dave its been since 92/3 I sometimes found that I'd get so wrapped up in diy and paying projects that it kept me from making music

Wil

Wilebee

[quote author="Kev"]I just love the track laying process ... especially a brand spanking new song that is being written as we record. They don't always work out but it is fun being there as it comes alive.
It is probably better to have a song well sorted before you press record.[/quote]

Both approaches are valid for sure. My own preference, generally, is for the old-fashioned way: a well-rehearsed band running through a song in the studio, documenting the moment. I like to cut rhythm tracks live, then add a vocal and maybe a guitar overdub... and you're done!

In the past, I've done this along with a live "scratch" vocal (that ended up being the keeper) and no guitar overdub, so the track was entirely live. A little leakage between mics never killed anybody.

On the other hand, experimentation and "painting in sound" is a lot of fun, too. I guess the song dictates how it wants to be recorded.

Back