OT: Computer Problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marik

Hey guys,

Need your help. Last night was working on my computer everything was just fine. In the morning turned it on, and first menu would get stuck at
Memory clock: DDR333

It is Athlon 2600+ (333)
Motherboard Abit KD7-G
512 DDR RAM

The interesting thing, when I restart computer--there is nothing on the screen--dead! When I clear bios it would show processor speed 1500+, memory test OK, and once again stuck at Memory clock DDR200. I would go to Bios settings, raise the speed to 2600+ (333), save and exit---nothing on the screen--dead! until I clear bios, and then everything starts again. I pulled out all the hardware--HD, all the cards except of AGP video.
I went to a friend who has Athlon and we tried his memory and processor (2200+)--all the same.

I thought the bios chip, or screwed up motherboard? Any ideas?

battery?

usualy only resets the cpu speed if it was overclocked to too high of a speed or something...

[quote author="Scenaria"]battery?

usualy only resets the cpu speed if it was overclocked to too high of a speed or something...[/quote]

Just measured--3.1V

Sure the CPU fan is running and the CPU heatsink is tight?

Many current CPUs will shut-down when overheated, which may take a few seconds.

My next step, after intuition, would be to pull major pieces out: RAM, hard drive, cards, etc, and see if I get the expected errors. Then rebuild until either something does not error as expected, or it all works again (sometimes just taking it apart scares it into life).

had almost similar experiences with a processor just touching the mobo instead of being well pushed on the connector.
As soon as i had some sound going on in the studio, the vibrations started to make the PC make the most impredictable stuff, reseating the processor cure it all. This proved AMD is decent gear, i'm sure my older intel would have died on the spot if this ever happened too it.

try taking out the memory and see if the MB gives a beep code. this should see if the bios is dead or if the memory is dead.

It could be the power supply. Is the supply a name brand?

Like posted above I would change the battery I have seen a few PC that seemed to be more sensitive to bios battery voltage(maybe more leakage paths on the board). New the cells measure about 3.3V some PCs can work OK to about 2.9v most get funny at about 3.00

> i'm sure my older intel would have died on the spot if this ever happened to it.

I've plugged an Intel CPU in
backwards.gif
. It got awful hot. But when I put it in right way round, it worked fine again.

Before you try this on a Pentium: 486 and higher CPU pinout make it impossible to put them in wrong without breaking a pin. I "oops!" a 8088, in a 40-pin DIP which fits fine either way.

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html

I forgot to post this before. I have seen some bad sun boards and pc motherboards with this problem

Thank you guys,

[quote author="PRR"]Sure the CPU fan is running and the CPU heatsink is tight? [/quote]

Yep!

[quote author="PRR"]My next step, after intuition, would be to pull major pieces out: RAM, hard drive, cards, etc, and see if I get the expected errors. Then rebuild until either something does not error as expected, or it all works again (sometimes just taking it apart scares it into life). [/quote]

Tried all of these--still no good. The processor sits tight.

[quote author="Svart"]try taking out the memory and see if the MB gives a beep code. this should see if the bios is dead or if the memory is dead.[/quote]

With memory out gives beeps. Bios dead?

[quote author="Gus"]It could be the power supply. Is the supply a name brand?
[/quote]

Tried another PSU (know for sure it works)--the same.
I will get a new battery to try.
No "bomb" electrolytics either.

The warning beeps are there too give you a clue of what's erroring out at boot time. The pattern of the beeps tells you what failed. For example, one long plus two short is bad (or no) video card output.

Here's the complete list:

http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html

The idea is, you pull everything from the computer until you're down to CPU and motherboard. Turn it on, and listen for beeps. If it gives you errors for all the missing stuff, then you put things in one at a time, turning your computer off then on each time. Eventually, you'll either get an error code for something you just installed, or the computer won't beep at you at all. You now know where the problem is.

-- Darren, the IT engineer.

[quote author="Consul"]The warning beeps are there too give you a clue of what's erroring out at boot time. The pattern of the beeps tells you what failed. For example, one long plus two short is bad (or no) video card output.

Here's the complete list:

http://www.sysopt.com/biosbmc.html

The idea is, you pull everything from the computer until you're down to CPU and motherboard. Turn it on, and listen for beeps. If it gives you errors for all the missing stuff, then you put things in one at a time, turning your computer off then on each time. Eventually, you'll either get an error code for something you just installed, or the computer won't beep at you at all. You now know where the problem is.

-- Darren, the IT engineer.[/quote]

OK,

It starts beeping when everything is out (except of CPU) and I take out memory (many--I counted up to 25-- long beeps with interval about 3sec.). When I put the memory back--no beeps. What does it mean?

[quote author="Consul"]Bad memory from the sound of it. The other clues you posted also point to this.

Maybe you can have it tested at a local store?[/quote]

I brought the computer to friend of mine who also has Athlon and we put in his memory--still the same.

[quote author="Consul"]Hold the presses for a second...

Do you have on-motherboard video, or a video card? If both, is the on-board disabled via BIOS setting?[/quote]

What is Presses?

I have an external video card (also pulled off). As soon as I get into Bios settings, after any changes and Save-Exit I have black screen untill I clear bios.

How do you clear bios, when you cant see anything?

It sounds like the eprom there is connected to the bios chip is dead. It conatiains the information you set in bios.

Try to change battery.

"Hold the presses" is a slang term meaning "don't do anything just yet because I thought of a complication". It comes from newspapermen getting their hands on a hot story as the current edition is right about to go to print.

If you were able to test known good memory and you get the same fault, I would suspect the motherboard. Mikkel may be right about a bad BIOS chip.

Thank you Gentlemen for all your help!

First, I will get a new battery. If it doesn't work I will order a new Bios chip. If it still doesn't work.... Well, new motherboard-->memory, etc. untill damn thing is back to life.

And special thanks to Nat M. who kindly loaned me his old computer, so I can be up-to-date.

BTW, I just was thinking--what's this? First was clutch, now computer. :evil: What's next??? :shock:

Back