Parcel Motel hell

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I was recently cajoled into setting up a Parcel Motel account to complete an online buy from a private individual .
Against all my better judgement I did it , because they guy insisted it was the only way he would do business .
Anyway I set up my account , ,he sent out the package , I went to the local parcel motel delivery point to pick up my goods and the thing wont accept my phone number/redeem code and I cant release the package .
Anyway the parcel collection window expires ,I get a message saying my goods are being returned to their warehouse .
Their support link on the website leads to an expired webpage , the telephone number listed for customer care contact is also no longer opperational ,
In order to generate a quiery and trouble shoot the system I end up sending myself a parcel ,
I drop it off at the PM location , sometime later I get an email and text saying my package,which I sent to myself is ready for collection , in the exact same box I left it in .
At this stage I had managed to get a complaint to the customer service and I wrote a note on the package explaining to the driver I was having an issue with opening the box .
This morning no contact back from PM , I decided to take a train upto where the parent company is based around 10 miles away (UPS) .

Even though I was having trouble containing my rage , I maintained my composure with the staff member and explained in crystal clear terms the issue ,
So now we have a situation where the sender is out of pocket from a delivery that simply wasnt possible , he has to pay again to get his package back , and if he wants to send it back out to me , he needs to pay more money .
Im down the cost of sending a parcel to myself , around two days in lost productivity , a train ticket to go to UPS warehouse and back , 5 euros call credit trying to contact their helpline only to eventually get a man in Bangalore before my credit was eaten up and the line went dead .

They incentivise their users to get people to sign up by offering the cost of a free delivery in the form of account credit
now its cocked up monumentally the sender is left looking like a douche , theres reputational damage and wasted time on him also .
Ive managed to locate the issue that prevented my parcel being released , its down to the an IT glitch and how you enter the phone number field when you sign up .
Anyway now I managed to get the issue sorted ,off my own bat , I'm not an IT professional , Im also not getting paid to troubleshoot their internal IT system for them ,
I am seriously thinking of taking legal advice and possibly lodging a case with the small claims court .
Its nearly lunchtime now and the promised call back from customer service hasnt come through yet , they best get their finger out fast ,because Im ready willing and able to start doing them serious reputational damage online if someone doesnt pull their head out of their arse .

This article brought me a sardonic grin from ear to ear ,
https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/parcel-motel-lucan-gardai-thieves-13648105Maybe someone got angry when there parcel wouldnt release .

Downside to all this is the guy who was sending me the package now feels bad about it , he runs a 3D printing service and theres nothing he cant do , Im in discussions with him about PTFE printing for electronics and it looks like we have a strong basis to move forward .
I was thinking of having him print up a little award for the manager of UPS ,
1st prize for 'Sharp Business Practices' and land it on his desk alongside a copy of my application to the small claims court .
Im a patient man ,but ineptitude and burying of heads in the sand makes me see red .

Last edited:
I recall one customer (thankfully only one) back when I was selling and shipping drum tuners all around the world. This one individual from a small european country dragged his feet on paying the custom's duty for so long the package was returned to me... I had mercy on him and reshipped it again. My profit on that sale was a negative number. :mad:

JR

I cant really see any parralell lines between that case and this to be honest John.
I sent him on the cash to cover the costs of the parts he's printed and the shipping , he sent the parts out , he's been entirely honourable , its UPS and Parcel Motel are at fault .
Still no call back from customer service about it . -

I told the guy not to ship out the parts again until Parcel Motel resolves the issue .

I got stung before when a Chinese producer of Arb gens gave me a prize of their new model for contributing to an online forum , the thing was they didnt pay the import duty , the box arrived , then about two weeks later a letter arrived with a customs and excise stamp demanding money with menaces , I tried to get the Chinaman to pay but no dice , I either forfeited the machine or payed the money . At that stage Fed-ex had passed the debt onto a company in England , they tried to double the price but I held tough and only paid the original amount , which in the end they accepted .

Thats what I was expecting , might have been the way it was catergorised , if they had specified it was a gift it may have avoided the charges .

Last edited:
https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/www.parcelmotel.com?page=1
Theres many pages here , the vast majority are trying to flag up serious problems but the company dont seem to give a shit .
I was thinking of having the 3D guy print up a doggy doodoo with a footprint in it , I'll hand deliver it to Parcel Motels area manager and put it on his desk . :poop:

Edit: customer service made contact this morning , the package is waiting collection and hopefully we can get the other issues sorted out too .

Latest posts

Back