Passive EQ + GSSL. Great 2-buss insert!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luny Tune

It's been discussed many times and I don't have very much new to add. However, I dabbled with cap values and thought a lot about what I wanted and which values would give me that. I'd just like to share with the community that brought me so much. I owe a debt of gratitude to Jakob Erland for providing the projects and for kindly letting me benefit from his knowledge and experience when advising me on these things.

Here's what I did:

I needed a stereo eq before my GSSL on the 2-buss. I had just fitted the GSSL with a couple of OEP trannies in the output which resulted in a killer mixbuss comp but I still needed an eq as well.

I think it was NY Dave who had already shared a design for a passive eq and I was also advised to build a passive eq as that would be perfect for that specific application. I found out that the eq filter on the Pulec EQP1A was completely separate in the schematic and with a little help I found out that I could easily make it a stereo eq and actually add functionality by using 2x6 switches and split the Low Frequency selector in two so I have Low Boost and Low Cut separated. Rather cool for 2-buss application, actually!

I built it in with the GSSL because it was perfect since the GSSL has (before the latest revision!) a very sensitive threshold and plenty of gain. That matches the passive eq brilliantly because the eq drops the level by 21 dB. The GSSL appears to have a less sensitive threshold and the gain makeup takes care of the loss of level.

I should say that I haven't found the best way to handle the bypass function but I may never get around to that because it actually works fine for me as it is. If someone would like to built this thing they might like to handle the bypass issue somehow. An idea could be to use a hafty switch of some kind and let it short the 4 points necessary in the eq section and the point in the GSSL simultaneously. Refer to the Pultec schematic.

Here's how it ended up looking outside and inside:
completeoutside.JPG

...and the mess inside. I was kinda prototyping the thing so it's pretty messy. But it works and sounds great!
completeinside.JPG

The below schematic is just an edit of the schematic for the Pultec project. (Click for larger picture!)

Here's how the chosen cap values work for me.
Lo Cut:20-25-30-40-60-80 Hz
Lo Boost: 30-40-60-80-100-240 Hz
Hi Boost: 1-3-7-10-12-18 KHz
Hi Cut: 5-7-10-12-18-20 KHz

Now, the values may not correspond exactly with the desired frequencies but as far as I can hear it's pretty close. At least close enough! The eq is pretty "wide" and since I removed the coils to make the Hi Boost shelf instead of bell curve it's even "wider" than the Pultec...

The eq is not as silky smooth as the Pultec project because the tube and the rest of the gain stage is not there, but instead it's really crispy and every single customer I've had has commented on how crisp and tight my mixes and/or masters are. I contribute this to the nature of the eq as well as to the GSSL and the Lundahl trannies in the input and the OEPs in the output of course. The crispyness is very much thanks to the eq, though...

What I aimed for and what I got exactly without having to change anything afterwards was that for the Hi Boost the 18 KHz gives the very airy high end without really affecting the material. The 12 KHz also affects shakers, overheads, hihat, line bells and sources like that. The 10 KHz reaches down and grabs the vocal's s'es and f's and the general top of the vocals. 7 KHz starts to affect the top in guitars and other mid range oriented instruments. 3 and 1 KHz can really open up a dull mix if they really lack hi mids and hi end.

It's EXACTLY what I was looking for and anyone who needs something like this should just do it! Almost everything with regard to the eq filter is mounted on the switches. Easy! And GREAT sounding! :razz:

Great project! :thumb:

I am very interested to put the OEPs in my G-SSL too. (which ones did you use?) Can you give us the details how to wire them? I just ordered two for the JLM BAs but would like to try them first on the G-SSL. I am also building a NEVETEC EQP1A :green: for the same purpose as you built your passive EQ.

[quote author="Purusha"]I am very interested to put the OEPs in my G-SSL too. (which ones did you use?) Can you give us the details how to wire them? [/quote]

I hope Luny don't mind me jumping in, but I added OEP's to my GSSL as well, so for once I actually have something to contribute :grin:

The OEP's on the output are 262A2E set up as 600:600, by seriel-connecting the primary and parallel-connecting the secondary windings.

To implement them in the GSSL, all you need to do is change the four 100 Ohm resistors in the output-section to four 22 Ohm..

Have fun..!

Hey Black Dog, thanks for the info. It all sounds nice for an experienced DIYer. But for me, I need to see the PCB layout with all the lines going to the OEP and back and this kind of thing. Sorry, but I am a rooky regarding the electronics :wink:

Can anyone do it for us the less experienced DIYers?

BTW, I have two A262A3E on the way. Would this work OK?

Ups, isn't the A262A3E input transformer and we are talking about the output tranny? :roll:

[quote author="Purusha"]Hey Black Dog, thanks for the info. It all sounds nice for an experienced DIYer. But for me, I need to see the PCB layout with all the lines going to the OEP and back and this kind of thing. Sorry, but I am a rooky regarding the electronics :wink: [/quote]

Sorry about that - didn't mean to come off like a smartass.

[quote author="Purusha"]Can anyone do it for us the less experienced DIYers?[/quote]

Maybe I can, but I sure hope someone lets us know, if my drawing isn't correct.

gssl_trafo_mod.jpg

[quote author="Purusha"]BTW, I have two A262A3E on the way. Would this work OK?

Ups, isn't the A262A3E input transformer and we are talking about the output tranny? :roll:[/quote]

Yup, you need the 262A2E for the output..

According to a very wise man I know, there isn't much joy to be found by putting trannies in front of the GSSL - but even if you did, you would need to use the 262A2E there as well..

Lars

Thanks! :thumb:

So to check a few things. The A262A3E can't work in the output stage? The Canford OEP PDF I just checked it says it can. Do you know what is the actual difference between the A262A3E and 262A2E?

The second thing is, could you describe the difference of your G-SSL with OEPs and without? I have also two gold 202Cs for one of my units so this might be a really great stereo compressor at the end with all the Nichicons and Wimas inside. :green:

[quote author="Purusha"]Thanks! :thumb:

So to check a few things. The A262A3E can't work in the output stage? The Canford OEP PDF I just checked it says it can. Do you know what is the actual difference between the A262A3E and 262A2E?[/quote]

You need a trannie with a 1:1 ratio for the output of the GSSL and the 262A3E has a ratio of 1:6.45, which means it increases your gain and thats not what we wan't to do in the GSSL..

[quote author="Purusha"]The second thing is, could you describe the difference of your G-SSL with OEPs and without? I have also two gold 202Cs for one of my units so this might be a really great stereo compressor at the end with all the Nichicons and Wimas inside. :green:[/quote]

To me it sounds smoother and adds seperation. Kinda brings out some fine details in the mix..
We did some tests with Lundahl VS OEP VS no trannies in the GSSL on our local danish forum, and we concluded that the Lundahl iron is insanely good, but overkill for this application.

..maybe Luny Tune still has the test-files..

Lars

Great, than I'll order some more 262A2E OEPs also for the other G-SSL unit. By overkill you mean the high price of the Lundahls? Isn't worth it?

I would be more than happy to hear the samples. Luny Tune, is it possible?

[quote author="Purusha"]By overkill you mean the high price of the Lundahls? Isn't worth it?[/quote]

I meant that the GSSL can drive less fancy trannies to sound very good. Like the OEP's or perhaps an Edcor WSM600:600..

The difference between OEP and Lundahl is less subtle in Jakob's Pultec-project for example.

Lars

My stereo pultec doesn't yet have output transformers, so I typcially use one of my GSSL's for that makeup gain. That was kind of a planned combo.

And Yeah, it is a rocking combination. I still feel though that the "perfect" high end adjustments from the pultec come from some of that tube interaction. I could be wrong though, I never really tried those passive
except when I was building the pultec project. Properly set you can get the tone aspects of the pultec adjustments with the middle comped a bit, and it's a sweet complementary tone.

The pultec has the biggest low end thump I have yet to her btw. Compared say to the sontec or the calrec project.

[quote author="SSLtech"][quote author="Purusha"]I might start another case series for SSLTEC :green:[/quote]
Hmmm. Something like this, perhaps:
coffins_25.jpg

:wink:

Keef[/quote]

Yes, but maybe in a little more dark color :green: :green: :green:

Back