Passive summer, yes, another one...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Girard

Hello all,

I'm trying to build myself a small passive summer for my Apogee AD-8000. I've got the DAC-8 card, which have 8 balanced outputs at +4dBm. My needs are simple: I want 4 stereo pairs going to two. The panning and the rest will be taken care of in the box... I'm gonna be amplifiying the result with a Buzz Audio MA-2.2 or a Neve 1272.

Now, I've searched this forum inside out, I didn't want to post yet another tread about this. I tried to figure it out by myself: I just couldn't, too complicated for my little brain. Then, I looked at NewYorkDave's schematics for building your own passive mixer.

The formula says:

R = ( N-1 ) / ( N+1 ) * Z

Now, I've read that the Folcrom's outputs have an impedance of 150 ohms. I'm guessing that's what most mic preamps like to "see".

So, let's do the math:

R = ( 4-1 ) / ( 4+1 ) * 150 = 90 ohms.

Now, I'm balanced, so resistors of 45 ohms would be needed... Damn, we're talking about 5Ks and 10Ks all over the place here, my 45 ohms looks awfully small as a R value. I'm missing the point.

Now, some details and findings:

My Buzz Audio preamp mic inputs impedance can be switched 1.2k ohms or 3k ohms. I don't know much about my Neve 1272 but I think I've read somewhere that's it's 300 ohms, I might be completely wrong. Output of the Folcrom passive mixer is 150 ohms. I tried to find anything about the Apogee DAC-8 output card, nothing... It's line level, +4 and balanced...

Now, I assume it can't be that complicated. I'm tempted to simply put 5K ohm resistors like most designs use.

If you can figure this out better than me, I'd be GREATLY thankful.

Marc, I think you're referring to this diagram.

In that diagram, "Z" refers to the load impedance required by your source devices.

Since 99% of the people building these boxes want to mix a number of line-level sources into the input of a mic preamp, we can take a "bridging" input impedance (10K or greater), an output impedance of 150-200 ohms and network attenuation of about 40dB as a given. So here's another diagram that may be easier to follow:
PDF

Even simpler: as PRR pointed out in another thread, 220 ohms is a close-enuff value for Rshunt for any practical number of inputs. So just grab some 10k and 220-ohm resistors and build away...

Yes, the Foufounes are still alive and well... As a matter of fact, my brother is one of the big heavy bouncers there! :) (Doorman). Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back