Performance Difference Between TAB/AMI Transformer and Moby..?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that AMI is more “forgiving” if you’re wanting to play with various tubes and Moby is more “correct” if you’re using the more traditional tube.

However, that line of thought may be completely wrong. I don’t know.

That said, I don’t necessarily follow it. I have a 269-type with an Moby BV12 and I love it with a 5840, but I still need to try a few other tubes in it.

Good question! I believe Moby's are more historically accurate, soundwise I wouldn't be able to tell. I have used from both manufacturers in my mics, and are happy with them all as they are, not really interested in purchasing more just to compare, not convinced the difference is worth as they are already hefty investments :LOL:. I think you can't go wrong with any of them really. Maybe shipping cost might be a more significant factor, depending on where you are...?

Last edited:
The AMI comparison samples I heard long ago in a U67 sounded thinnest/brightest against the Neumann, but honestly tube swaps make a much larger difference in that circuit. Then there's the particular capsule contribution to steer......

Latest posts

Back