Plate voltage microphone without zener diodes.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmanj

Greetings to all.
I want to remove the zener diodes from the power supply for plate voltage, and regulate the voltage without them.
Which option (in the image) 1 - shunt or 2 is preferable ?

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
My power supply for DIY c-800g, with zener diodes, does not "pull out" 230V.
And without zener diodes, it turns out 240V.
I want to lower the voltage a bit..

Reduce the series resistor values? Increase the total zener voltage and move it "upstream"?

I have already reduced them from 20K to 4.7K.
I also changed the divider for the polarization of the capsule to 470K and 100K plus a 100K potentiometer between them. To reduce power consumption..
After all this, I get 235-240V.
For normal operation of 230V zener diodes, this is not enough.

Well, since the current requirement is tiny, why not go with a voltage doubler? That should leave you plenty of headroom to regulate down to 230v.

Mind you, that'll probably need 5-600V capacitors. But since you're looking for single-digit mA values, perhaps even some film caps might do, at least in the early stages.

I have an extremely limited space for the power supply, so I can’t change anything globally in the circuit, and I don’t want to.
Is it possible to do without zener diodes?

It's easier for me to implement option 1 - to slightly reduce the value of the shunt resistor, but I ask for advice, which of these options is better?

Back