Please, help with ground noise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
prefer a slightly more defined and articulated sound on the medium frequencies, I think I'll try the solution of making other vents laterally, as you suggested,

Good Day Mssrs. @maurizionatoli and @kingkorg

I enjoyed reading this thread and it raises a question. While discussing venting the capsule, a Mr. maurizionatoli mentioned making "lateral vents" to open the mid range frequencies. This, in turn, reminded me of discussions among radio amateurs who advocate smaller 4" speakers with multiple lateral (horizontal) vents in speaker cabinets - opposed to square or round holes - favor the frequencies most used by human voice, i.e, say roughly 300 t0 5000 Hz. The point being, the shape of the vents somehow improved speech intelligibility.

My Question: Is Mr. maurizionatoli thinking of the same sort of effect? Would the shape of the vents (in addition to the size and number of vents) shape the tonality and affect the frequency curve?

(Please forgive me if I use inappropriate terminology. I am a mere novice at all of this - a man needs a hobby don't you know!)

Any traction? OR, have I missed the point entirely? :)

Thanks - lots to learn, and so little time. James /K8JHR

My Question: Is Mr. maurizionatoli thinking of the same sort of effect? Would the shape of the vents (in addition to the size and number of vents) shape the tonality and affect the frequency curve?
I am not familiar with speakers, but i think it's different here.

In my opinion and according to all the measurements i've ever taken typical condenser mic capsules perform best on their own without any shielding or anything surrounding them. Immediately when you place them in any kind of enclosure, reflections, resonances occur and change both frequency response and pattern.

In the case with this particular mic there is a resonant cavity behind the capsule which will impact the sound in significant way. By adding more cavities, ideally as close as possible to the capsule, the resonances will decrease and provide shorter path for the sound (air) to reach the capsule so it can perform as designed.

Sometimes the body is part of the whole equation in getting the mic to perform a certain way, but that includes complex calculations and measurements.

Dimensions of the cavity will determine if the effect will be in midrange, or high end. It would have to be quite large to affect the low end.

Sometimes accidental/unitentional design of body can create stuff thet we over time learn to like, or get familiar with, and eventually expect from certain mic. Many examples of this. It doesn't necessarily mean engineers even knew what they were doing when designing it.

Kind of a situation like with Yamaha NS10 in speaker world.

Dear KingKorg and MicMaven, first of all I apologize for the delay in replying, I certainly didn't expect such an old post to be resurrected! From my experiments regarding the rear vents of the capsules, I can only agree with KingKorg: what matters is the position, density and area of the cavities, it doesn't seem to me that the shape has an influence. To better understand the phenomenon of cancellation of certain frequencies (therefore the intonation of the microphone) I suggest a reading which, although it refers to ribbons, can be applied to any situation.
Having said this, a small clarification on the subject of "medium frequencies": the instruments have timbre, articulation, expression and musicality right in the mid range. This does not mean that we must give up high and low frequencies, it just means that (as the "dim" experiment suggests) particular attention must be paid to this range which, if well completed by the rest, provides a perfect picture of the instrument. To uneducated ears, the "smiley" sound may be more pleasant, but any musician to whom you subject a sound of this type will tell you that this sound does not represent any instrument. If you listen to excellent products such as the Schoeps (but there are also other examples) you will realize how these microphones are extremely complete across the entire audible range, but the real difference is how they translate the mid range, bright (but without harsh) and silky. Anyway: as KingKorg suggested, I continued on the path of the "pure capsule" and the results go beyond all expectations (sonically speaking). Thanks for your input, happy experimenting!

Attachments

• IMG_20231214_193543.jpg
    IMG_20231214_193543.jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231214_193549.jpg
    IMG_20231214_193549.jpg
    544.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dear KingKorg and MicMaven, first of all I apologize for the delay in replying, I certainly didn't expect such an old post to be resurrected! From my experiments regarding the rear vents of the capsules, I can only agree with KingKorg: what matters is the position, density and area of the cavities, it doesn't seem to me that the shape has an influence. To better understand the phenomenon of cancellation of certain frequencies (therefore the intonation of the microphone) I suggest a reading which, although it refers to ribbons, can be applied to any situation.
Having said this, a small clarification on the subject of "medium frequencies": the instruments have timbre, articulation, expression and musicality right in the mid range. This does not mean that we must give up high and low frequencies, it just means that (as the "dim" experiment suggests) particular attention must be paid to this range which, if well completed by the rest, provides a perfect picture of the instrument. To uneducated ears, the "smiley" sound may be more pleasant, but any musician to whom you subject a sound of this type will tell you that this sound does not represent any instrument. If you listen to excellent products such as the Schoeps (but there are also other examples) you will realize how these microphones are extremely complete across the entire audible range, but the real difference is how they translate the mid range, bright (but without harsh) and silky. Anyway: as KingKorg suggested, I continued on the path of the "pure capsule" and the results go beyond all expectations (sonically speaking). Thanks for your input, happy experimenting!
👏👏👏

Dear KingKorg and MicMaven, * * * as KingKorg suggested, I continued on the path of the "pure capsule" and the results go beyond all expectations (sonically speaking). Thanks for your input, happy experimenting!
Wow, there is a LOT of buckshot in just that one shell !! Thanks for the swell reply. James

Latest posts

Back