POTS circuits

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They made a movie about Golden Boy !

http://techchannel.att.com/play-video.cfm/2012/2/8/AT&T-Archives-Electricity

He moved around a bit. At one point his butt was eye-level with the escalator in one of AT&T's outlying offices which I visited.

He's 98 years old. Centenial!! (Yeah, right. AT&T couldn't give him away.)

Brian Roth said:
Interesting comment re. NOVA.  For more than a few years, I've been involved with a broadcast operation in "Old Town" Alexandria, VA (Torpedo Factory area, which makes sense only to the locals...) and the constant fights with C&P  (Cheap and Pitiful <g>) Telephone Co.

In NOVA, I've fought with POTS lines for the Telos multi-line "call in" system, as well as ISDN for the other Telos requirements.

Bri

That's interesting!  I know that area very well.

For 12 years (through the '80's and early '90s) I worked for a pair of DC radio stations who's studios were on King Street in the Courthouse Office Complex. We had our own C & P (local Bell at the time) repair guys across the street in the bank building.

Our studio request lines, and 6000 series equalized lines were handled by "The Radio Center" in DC. At any time we had active, 3 T-1's, 30 pots, 6 or so active 6000 type lines for Studio to Xmtr links and remotes, with another 6 of these lines pre-equalized to the local C.O. for future remotes.

We used to do so many remotes via these lines that we installed our own equalizer shelf in the rack room, to make sure our end wasn't futzed with and were always in good repair.

jD

I just ran a teleconferenced meeting last week, analog line out through a phone hybrid.  Seemed like something was maladjusted on the line, as I had to send over +10 out of the console to keep the signal from gating off.  First time I've experienced that in a phone link.  If I backed down to +4 avg peaks, it'd mute intermittently.  This was through a teleconference service, and it may have been their equipment rather than Ma Bell. 

okgb said:
I remember when you could do a phone interview [ 90's ? ] and it could sound pretty good ,
Horrible what they accept from phones  for  " broadcast quality " these days
Here, most broadcast stations would not use standard telephone lines; they'd rather use dedicated lines of better (and guaranteed) quality that they could rent on a yearly basis, or just by the hour. Europe 1 rented on a yearly basis an 8kHz line from Paris to wherever in Sarre (West Germany) their AM transmitter is located. They rented 12kHz lines by the hour between the studio in Paris and the main stadiums and the Olympia music-hall, where they had a weekly program. These were still in use in the 1980's, used for both AM and FM broadcast.
These lines did not go through many exchanges, like regular lines do. They offer not only better BW, but also S/N.

Back