Power Supply Oscillation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardishead

Hi there - I need help trying to fix a big 24v power supply. It oscillates at about 15k - audibly without going through speakers and desk - but seems to provide a level DC of 24v. There is a small regualtor board - can anyone suggest where I can start

I suspect you're talking about a switching regulator? Those can be very acoustically noisy - and very often there is little that can be done about it, other than replacing the SMPS transformer. As these are not generic parts, you will need to get an original sparepart.

But if it is an analouge supply, the picture is very different - as Jaakko says - change your electrolytics.

Jakob E.

thanks guys but I think its a bit more complex than that.
this supply is a desk one and it has huge 4000uf caps on it which costs $50 each or more to replace. anyway I think I've found the problem - a reference zener has died and taken a 741 chip with it aswell - I think this is causing the oscillation. everything else on the regulator board looks fine.
I assume that when you connect a scope to a DC power supply you should not get any reading for AC - which I was getting - so when I hook it up again hopefully AC will have gone

Hi,

If you scope across a DC power supply (watch out when doing this- one side of your scope is connected to mains ground!) there are two modes of connection. Check out the switch next to the BNC probe connector- it should be marked AC/GND/DC or something similar.

When set to GND it gives the scope a 0V reference so that you can allign your trace to a good zero point. When in DC coupled mode the display will show the amount of DC voltage present across the input. In this example, if you were measuring the 24V power supply, you could have the sensitivity set to 5V/div and if all was well the trace would jump up almost 5 divisions on the graticule.

Now, in a case like this you posibly have an AC signal riding on the DC voltage. Say this signal is 100mV. In the above reading 100mV would be 1/50th of a single division on the scope- the trace would just look slightly blurry- you'd know something was up, but you wouldn't be able to measure its frequency or amplitude accurately.

If you switch the input-coupling switch to AC, this inserts a capacitor in series with the input BNC, and allows you to measure an AC voltage in the presence of DC. With the DC potential being blocked, you can "zoom in" on the AC signal- so you could wack up the y-axis sensitivity and really take a look at the signal.

Apologies if you knew this already, I wasn't sure from your post if you'd tried this!

If it's a zener ref/741/2N3055-or-similar-pass-transistor setup, it will be easy to fix. Just replace the faulty components. What is the case history? Did it suddenly start oscillating, or had a previous fault occured? What is your actual DC output with this fault condition?

Good luck with it!

Mark

Hey Mark thanks
replaced a dodgy zener reference on the rectfier board and guess what oscillation went. but when I turned on the desk - at first there was alot of noise - as if trapped in the system - and then it gradually went til it was totally quiet and seems to be running well now. I have not checked it again with the scope yet but I am just keeping an eye on it.
would you say that it was a good idea leaving the thing on all the time or not?

Back