prevent LM339/393 comparator hysteresis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the others, I am not sure what you are trying to achieve.

The general Schmitt trigger is like this

723440-9-10IP1.png

You start by determining which are the VTL and VTH voltages that you need, those are your thresholds for trigger low and trigger high of the input signal. Then, select R1 and calculate R2 like this: R2 = [(Vcc-VTL)/VTH]*R1, R1 shouldn't be small, something like 100K could work fine to reduce power dissipation. Afterwards, select a small value for R5 like 1K and make R4 much larger than R5 like 100K, then, calculate R3 like this: R3 = [(VTH-VTL)/Vcc]*R4.

Example: Say you want VTL = 0.7V, VTH =1V, and you are using Vcc = 5V;

select R1 = 100K, then R2 = ([5-0.7)/1]*100K = 430K, both resistors are commercial values.

Then, select R5 = 1K, R4 = 300K; both commercial values. Then R3 = [(1-0.7)/5)*300K = 180K, also a commercial value.

Let us know if that worked....

If you add a cap at the input, you will have to modify the circuit because this circuit assumes that the source is DC coupled. You could add a small resistor from the left leg of R3 to ground, just after the cap, it should be quite smaller than R3, so the threshold voltages don't get affected very much, but, that resistor will essentially become your input impedance and if its very small, your cap will have to be very large, so maybe you will have to scale the entire circuit so R3 is large. In the example I gave above, a 2K resistor from the left leg of R3 to ground might work, if you then add a 100uF cap it will produce a pole near 1 Hz. Just make sure the "square wave" can drive the 2K load.

Last edited:
Search for Schmitt trigger
Thank you for the answer.

Yes, i have used that as well.
1650631206485.png
but the Footprint of the LM339 or LM393 is smaller compared to TO92 transistors and PCB space is a real luxury for me, as i tend to use 19 mm wide PCB's.
I got BCM847 laying around, but the point of my soldering iron is to big.

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, i have used that as well.
View attachment 93016
but the Footprint of the LM339 or LM393 is smaller compared to TO92 transistors and PCB space is a real luxury for me, as i tend to use 19 mm wide PCB's.
I got BCM847 laying around, but the point of my soldering iron is to big.
A Schmitt trigger can be made both with transistors and comparators/opamps. Look at my previous post at the top of this page, I think I already gave you the solution.

A Schmitt trigger can be made both with transistors and comparators/opamps

You can also buy devices which already have hysteresis configured. The disadvantage is that you cannot set the trigger levels, the advantage is you do not need additional external components. Regarding the disadvantage, I noticed that TI does have some devices with a hysteresis configuration pin that lets you adjust the hysteresis with only a single external resistor.

Back