Proper Cable for Console Power Supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohdonnymon

Hi all, so I’m wiring up an Acopian power supply,(+,-,and +,- sensing) to my Sound Workshop 1280B, and I got some SAB Brockses 600v 5 conductor control cable and Amphenol connectors to do the job. Now I’m wondering is that cable going to end up being unsuitably noisy since it’s not twisted and as far as I can tell unsheilded? What kind of cable is best for a typical linear power supply?
Thanks!!

Twisted pair and shielding not really necessary for power supply cables. There should be enough filtering in the mixer to get rid of any noise pickup and it's all relatively high voltage and low impedance compared to signals. Having said that, don't go laying power cables parallel to AC cables over long runs or you may pick up some hum.

A useful source of cable is the 7 core cable used in vehicles for trailer number plates and lighting.
Very flexible and the ground wire is twice the thickness of the others ensuring a good ground/earth connection with little/no hum/buzz.
Far less expensive than special ambilical cabling.
Amphenol connectors are fine as are Neutrik and other manufacturers of connectors.

Thanks for the info all. The AWG is 20 for each conductor, and it’s rated for 600v. Can’t find an amperage rating but I think it’s probably robust enough for the 1280b even with the newer op amps that draw a bit more current.

Back