Quad cable

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

I am sure this has been discussed before.
So rather than rehash old data and info. I just wanted to share this. I made a quad db25 snake. 8 channels of analog bliss, quad cable.😎

Attachments

• 84A06137-A411-4AD8-A86D-7E7127ED2A38.jpeg
    84A06137-A411-4AD8-A86D-7E7127ED2A38.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I only used a quad cable once, as I had to run a microphone cable trough an elevator shaft 3 floors down.

I don't see any advantage in using quad configuration for short lenghts or situations where there is no strong EM field present to interact with the signal.

Muchos respect for fitting this inside a DB25 connector though, I bet that was not easy !

I only used a quad cable once, as I had to run a microphone cable trough an elevator shaft 3 floors down.

I don't see any advantage in using quad configuration for short lenghts or situations where there is no strong EM field present to interact with the signal.

Muchos respect for fitting this inside a DB25 connector though, I bet that was not easy !
I love quad cable. There was a period where a&m studios was wired entirely in quad. Shelly their chief at the time insisted on it.
I do find it nice all around and have worked out the easiest way to work it.
The db25 was a challenge, The cable maker said they don’t know of a hood that would fit and that it couldn’t be done.

Last edited:
I had a guy that I massively respect once tell me something about quad that has always stuck in my craw. He claimed that quad inherently has a boost to all information before 150hz, and that he and another engineer had been able to show it on a frequency analyzer. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have never tested this for myself. Has this really been anyone's experience? It just seemed like something rooted in confirmation bias to feel better about not working with quad cabling.

I had a guy that I massively respect once tell me something about quad that has always stuck in my craw. He claimed that quad inherently has a boost to all information before 150hz, and that he and another engineer had been able to show it on a frequency analyzer. Now, I'll be the first to admit that I have never tested this for myself. Has this really been anyone's experience? It just seemed like something rooted in confirmation bias to feel better about not working with quad cabling.
No boost to speak of... but well above average hum rejection.... I bench tested this back in the 80s... It doesn't suck.

JR

That's why it's all I've ever used. I just don't get this business where supposed golden ears claim it has a sound.
It has higher capacitance than common shielded cable so in a high source impedance application it could affect (roll off) very HF response, so don't use it for guitar cable, mics and line level interfaces are OK.

JR

No boost to speak of... but well above average hum rejection.... I bench tested this back in the 80s... It doesn't suck.

JR
Yes… it’s why I use it. The rejection is stellar. Now my environments usually do not need it but why risk it. Canare makes great cable. However the de-braiding process of the shield can be tedious.
It goes one of two ways. Use their expensive tool that easily breaks or use the dental pick set I got at the auto parts store. Option two is much easier and has yet to break.

That's why it's all I've ever used. I just don't get this business where supposed golden ears claim it has a sound.

I do hear a difference with quad. Take a 25 ft Canare L-4E6S and compare to DA206. The quad sounds more mellow with less high end. I don't know about a low end bump, but less highs might be perceived as more lows. As mentioned quad has higher capacitance. In theory this shouldn't matter for low impedance applications, but in practice can be audible.

Use their expensive tool that easily breaks or use the dental pick set I got at the auto parts store. Option two is much easier and has yet to break.
I use a Starrett punch or a metal scribe. :) Pick pick pull!

Props on fitting all that copper.

Back