Question on Cable for external PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
Hi there, i've found one thread talking about this but it's too old, so here is my newbie question:
I want to make an external PSU, with +/-25V, 0V and 5V (it's for the PGA2500 project),  total of 6 conductors, and i was thinking of getting a 7  conductor wire shielded (the 7th for the groung wire), but the one i found has 24AWG wire inside, from the specifications it looks ok for me but when i think of the different AWG sizes, most of the time the first thing that i take in consideration is the Voltage rating , but because this one will be a meter long, i wanted to have some advice from you guys, if i'm wrong and it's preferable to have thicker wire for that purpose or if this will be ok, here is the cable. Thanks a lot!

http://fr.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1515273

Any toughts or people using a tye of cable for external PSU purpose? I know my question may sound stupid, and i will anyway make a test with this cable, but because of my inexperience i wanted to have some experienced advice. Thanks a lot

Voltage rating is within speck obviously.
...but what's the current that has to go through that cable? I don't see this mentioned in the data sheet.
Other than that it looks like an ok cable.
I made a multi core cable myself using shrink tubing. Does not look very nice but hey, it's only a cable right?

Thanks Radiance, well it's for Igor's PGA2500 project, and i don't think this will run more than mA thru that cable, most of the datasheet on these cables are a little poor, and yes you're right it's just a cable, i tought about your solution, i'll be doing in the future on other projects, there was also this solution when i made a search here on that old post, http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html can make it look better  :) but i was doing some orders on Farnell and landed on that doing a search so, anyway, i'll be trying this one and we will see, thanks al lot for responding, i was just curious about this.

Latest posts

Back