Quick noob question for my favorite forum in the world!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to detach Pin 3 of the OPA1642, and I broke the leg off. I guess i will have to order a new one. My soldering skills are terrible, but I will keep practicing. Growing pains :)

Stay intuned! Ordering stuff from mouser now.

I was only advocating for doing the HiZ points of a mic 'in air'; certainly not the entire microphone.
I was replying to
Ive seen people build mics without a pcb, just wires and components connected to each other in the air.
I tried to detach Pin 3 of the OPA1642, and I broke the leg off.

Ouchie... I now feel a tiny bit guilty about not specifying using a light-touch technique, not a crowbar. You didn't try to get it completely vertical, i hope? But live & learn, I guess..(?)

Nowadays i'm often too lazy to reach for the hot-air wand when desoldering SOIC8-packaged components; I just heat up all the pins on one side (at once, with a wide iron tip) and carefully lever the chip up on that side, then repeat on the other side. Haven't broken any pins (in recent memory)...

I was replying to

Ouchie... I now feel a tiny bit guilty about not specifying using a light-touch technique, not a crowbar. You didn't try to get it completely vertical, i hope? But live & learn, I guess..(?)

Nowadays i'm often too lazy to reach for the hot-air wand when desoldering SOIC8-packaged components; I just heat up all the pins on one side (at once, with a wide iron tip) and carefully lever the chip up on that side, then repeat on the other side. Haven't broken any pins (in recent memory)...
That seems like a like a great technique, I think im going to try that next time instead of trying to just lift one pin hehehehe. Live and learn my brother!

You could try that - although for the reasons I mentioned above - about ambient noise being the main noise source - it's probably not worth it.

Some months back I had a problem with my Rode NT1. (See this post ) It showed me that my op-amp circuit was about 3dB worse than Rode's noise figure for the NT1 (which is specified as a pretty low 4.5dB(A) ).
Add another couple of dB on top of that extra 3dB for the OPA Alice configuration and you're still only talking about 10dB(A) or so of self noise.

According to Neumann that's still considered 'extremely low noise'..... As they describe on this page the ambient noise will still be the dominant noise source.

This is seriously impressive, @rogs. I continue slowly and quietly moving toward an OPIC / Flat 47 build..

Back