Quick veggie chili - update

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

The fiddle player would be there in an hour, and hungry. So on the spur of the moment, I said, "chili". And Rebecca said, "Make it vegetarian." So I did.

True chili purists, tune out now. Folks that like to eat, keep reading.

Vegetarian Chili (5-6)

In a cast-iron skillet, caramelize in olive oil:

1 sweet onion, chopped

None of this "cook until transparent" crap; brown the little suckers. Meanwhile, open:

2 8-oz cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 16-oz cans reduced-sodium organic pinto beans (drain one of them) (note 1)

When the onion is good and caramelized, add:

1 tbsp. + 2 tsp. Gebhardt's chili powder (note 2)

Stir well, continue sauteing for about 30 more seconds, then dump into a largish cooking pot. Deglaze pan with the liquid from the undrained can of beans, pour/scrape into cooking pot. Add the beans and tomato sauce, maybe a splash of white wine too. Also add:

1 bay leaf
~1/2 tsp marjoram
3 medium-sized carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4" pieces

In something or other, dry-toast until they start popping:

1/2 tsp. cumin seeds (note 2)

Add to the chili. Bring to a bubble, turn down, simmer at least 1/2 hour but preferably longer.

Meanwhile, in another pot, combine:

1 c. coarse bulgur wheat
2 c. cold water

Bring to a boil, turn down to low and cook, tightly covered, for 20 minutes. Add a bit of water if it gets too dry.

When chili is ready to serve, put a dollop of bulgur in the bowl and pour the chili over top. Stir, eat.

NOTES:

1. These are available as a house brand at grocery stores (in St. Louis, Schnuck's); look at the nutrition label. If it says the sodium content is 100 mg per serving, that's the one you want.

2. The chili powder is an important variable. Most mainstream chili powders aren't terribly hot, and contain a good deal of cumin. Gebhardt's is hotter, but under-cuminized, so it needs the extra. If you use, say, Spice Islands chili powder, use 2 tbsp or more, and taste before adding the extra cumin; you may not need it.

I make all kinds of chili.. but that's a new one .. 

Where do you hunt Veggies, or can you get veggie meat from the butcher? ;D

I'm actually reheating some chili I made the other day using farm style ribs as the secret ingredient.

I usually buy a package of "two alarm" as a starting point, then add stuff from there.

JR

Sounds great.
I have changed my diet greatly recently......less fat, calories, and sugar......more  vegies.....+ exercise. .
NO fast food in 3 weeks.
I've lost about 7 lbs.
The elimination of refined  types of sugar gives me a more even level of energy during the day.
I used to feel dead sleepy at noon and 5 pm.......but no more.

I'll try your vegy chili.

=FB=

We make veggie chilli using those "veggie crumbles" from morningstar farms - basically veggie burgers crumbled up. (probably a soy product.)  it's so quick, it's taken off as a favorite in my sister's house (no vegetarians in that household) just because it's easier and healthier than browning ground beef.

we do a dumbed down version, and it's super quick. 1 onion, two cans, crumbles, that's about it.

(actually: one sauteed onion, one large can crushed tomatoes, one large can kidney beans, veggie crumbles, some pre-chopped garlic, and chilli powder.)

quick diversion: what's your favorite "secret ingredient" in chilli?

(mine is chipotle powder from penzey's spices.)

Arghhh! Mea culpa! I left out a key ingredient -- carrots, added at the same time as the beans, tomato sauce and herbs.  :-[

See revised recipe, above.

Peace,
Paul

kato said:

522109.gif
+
Heinz_ketchup.jpg

;)

For veggie chili, I like to add some smoked paprika and maybe a couple of teaspoons of balsamic vinegar depending on how much tabasco I may have added.

rob_gould said:
kato said:

522109.gif
+
Heinz_ketchup.jpg

Wow!

Ketchup and Marmite... that's a left-field combo!  ;D

Ketchcup in the US doesn't taste anywhere near as good as UK ketchup these days though... and I'm comparing Heinz to Heinz.

Marmite is an inspired choice though. -NewYorkDave recently tried some and couldn't get into the "spread it on bread" idea AT ALL. He just didn't like the taste. -However he then trieda dollop of it in a veggie stew and was apparently preasantly surprised by how 'meaty' it made things taste... -and to think that it's a fully-vegetarian byproduct of brewing beer!

I'm guessing that with the "vulgar wheat" (you know... the REALLY coarse stuff! ;)) it might work well.

Keith

SSLtech said:
Ketchup and Marmite... that's a left-field combo!  ;D

Haha yeah no one ever believes me until they taste the final product :).  These are key ingredients in my bologanises too.

The marmite I got into cooking with after giving up Beef Oxo post student days when I realised it was mostly salt and MSG.

I think that ketchup was discovered by happy accident when I had run out of tomato puree once.  It really does add a great taste, but it's important not to use too much as certainly in the UK ketchup is super sugary and will quickly take over the whole dish.

Back on the veggie chilli track, I use onions, garlic, chillis, cumin, red kidney beans, tins of plum tomatoes, green lentils and then a tin of baked beans.  Not sure if you guys have these in the same style in the US?  Don't recall ever seeing them when I've been out there.

istockphoto_850485_baked_beans.jpg

Again, the tomato sauce in baked beans is rich, thick and quite sugary and really adds something to the chilli sauce (skip the ketchup if using these though).  The best bit of using a tin of baked beans is that you bulk up the meal for hardly any extra money.  Another old student days trick that I still adhere to ;D

Well, we have baked beans in tomato sauce -- sort of. They're a lot more watery than the ones in the UK, and somewhat less beany-tasting. I loved them when I was a kid, less so now, but I don't think it's as much a matter of my tastes changing as the beans' taste. As I said, more water.

Peace,
Paul

Back