Røde NT3 Mod - 6Khz Hype Circuit Removal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Casually quite interested in whether or not this simple mod applies across numerous Rode mics. That 6k boost is the Rode's achillies heel so I'm hoping the massive microphone braintrust here can help decode this fix as it may apply to many of their offerings. So please keep digging, and keep posting your findings.

Can you tell us anything about the NT3 capsule? I found some photos of the front grille and it looked like a Primo EM21…
Not sure where you got this image from, could it be a prototype or something? I had a number of NT3 mics, all of them had the typical km84 based capsule with circular grooves in the backplate. Of much higher quality than say MXL603, and very consistent.

Casually quite interested in whether or not this simple mod applies across numerous Rode mics. That 6k boost is the Rode's achillies heel so I'm hoping the massive microphone braintrust here can help decode this fix as it may apply to many of their offerings. So please keep digging, and keep posting your findings.
I don't think so unfortunately. I believe this feature was designed specifically and only for NT3.

I have a pair of NT-3 for more than 10 years and they don't see much service with me because of that bump in the highs and also I don't really need hyper cardioid very often.
But since this mod is so simple to make I may give them a second lease and see what they can do.
The last time I have used them was to "pinpoint" two soloists in a choir. The affair was pretty big and I used all of my good microphones.
Those NT3 saved the day as I had to send them also in the PA just so they could be heard over the choir and the orchestra.
With a bit of clever gain riding they worked perfectly and the recording I made was really nice! I just needed a bit of mid-range cut so they blend a bit better with the other mics.
The reasult was great.
Thank you Kingkorg for this tip! :)

Back