RCA Ba6a Innerstage XFMR

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work!

What kind if AC voltages does that inner stage PRI see at normal operating levels?
Sowter probably uses an EI core with a larger cross section , this means less turns needed to get the equivalent Henrys as the original . Less turns means less effect from DC imbalance as the H field for DC is a function of Ampere Turns.

Last edited:
Cheers CJ. I will measure those voltages next time I am at the test setup. From the dimensions and drawings given on the Sowter website they seem to be using an EI42 lam (or an imperial lam close to that) with a square stack height of 14mm which gives a core cross section of about 2sq.cm. The L lams however with their deep stack in the BA6 give a cross section of about 3.5sq.cm.

Agreed that less turns will have less issues with DC imbalance.

I will soon be getting hold of a Sowter 9830 so then I can put it through it's paces.

DC flux is a function of H and the Magnetic Path Length.

The RCA L lam has a MPL of 6 inches,

The EI 42 metric has about 3.5 inches,

So DC imbalance flux will probably come out equal for RCA and Sowter as twice the turns and 6" = half the turns and 3.5".

Latest posts

Back