Re: 1176 Power Supply and metal working?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicksense

Hello,

I am working on a stereo 1176 and have a few questions about the PSU and Meter.

I plan on putting both boards in the same enclosure and would like to power both off the same power supply. The parts list calls for a 2x24V 500mA power transformer, if I find double the amps and get a 2x24V 1A would that be fine?

I also plan on punching my own face plate as I have with a SSL comp I made and I am trying to find a place to get some tools to make the job a little easier and better looking. I think all I need are a few things to make circular and square punches but am not really sure where to start. I have been using the tedious technique of marking my spots and drilling tiny holes all around it, popping the metal out and then filling it down as best I can, but there must be a better way?

Thanks,

Nick

[quote author="nicksense"]I also plan on punching my own face plate as I have with a SSL comp I made and I am trying to find a place to get some tools to make the job a little easier and better looking. I think all I need are a few things to make circular and square punches but am not really sure where to start. I have been using the tedious technique of marking my spots and drilling tiny holes all around it, popping the metal out and then filling it down as best I can, but there must be a better way?

Thanks,

Nick[/quote]
Tedious yes, boring yes - but it works (I do the same but join them up with a jigsaw with a HSS blade)
A number of posts have dealt with this
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=985&highlight=dremel
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1138&highlight=dremel
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3035&highlight=dremel

"Dremel" is the keyword to do the search on the forum

Nick,

Stop by my place... I have some ideas, and I think I can be of help...

Scenaria and I were discussing some ideas, and you are exactly the guinea-pig we need!

Keith

I know a lot of people use the drill and file mechanism. I use a variable speed jigsaw, and like it a lot.

Draw your square, drill two holes in opposing corners large enough for the jigsaw blade, and cut out your square.

The jigsaw is only like $30-40, and I use mine on countless things ( today it will be a sink cuttout in a formica counter)

Regards

ju

I plan on putting both boards in the same enclosure and would like to power both off the same power supply. The parts list calls for a 2x24V 500mA power transformer, if I find double the amps and get a 2x24V 1A would that be fine?

yup, i just left the psu bits of-board and made a sep psu based on a varible 317/337 combo and 2x24V 30VA (as i remem) tx to power 2 boards, power and meter LEDs - been working fine :)

As for panel working, as stated can be a ballache...I normally print out a template with center markings of all cutouts then spraymat that to the panel and mark out all the points with a pointy thing and a hammer - then it's just a case of drilling, filling, reamin (n screamin!)...I have had some success with a router bit and a dremel tho which is quick (still have to file for a decent finish) but it's noisy as fok!

but it's noisy as fok!
Ya, can't stress enough to put some damn earplugs in when you work on this stuff.

Build stuff to make great sounds, but make sure you have some hearing left to enjoy them :grin:

ju

i'm working on an FPD file for a dual 1176. i can send you what i have so far if you are interested. it's got most of the holes and lettering, you can subtract or add as you need. PM with your email addy if you are interested. i'm not going back to drillin n' shit after i got FPD's panels they are just too sexy... :green:

I know I saw this somewhere, but...does frontpanel express drill out all of the holes marked on the .fpd file, or do you still have to do that?

Drilling and filing is a HUGE pain in the a$$!!!!!!!!! I did my GSSL myself, and it took FOREVER...and turned out ugly as a pig in $hit. It sounds great, but man...my GSSL is ugly!!! I don't have the tools needed to drill things nicely. When my new house is finished being built, I'll get a drill press...and that should improve things...

I know I saw this somewhere, but...does frontpanel express drill out all of the holes marked on the .fpd file, or do you still have to do that?

of course - cnc'ed out so it's clean as ;) holes, cavities...all there in the free app... :thumb:

and ye, once you get a panel back from them it's very hard to go back to the cold light of day with the diy mark/drill/file method :wink:

Latest posts

Back