re ribboning an M260n

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burglar

Hi Folks,

Anyone know how tricky it is to re ribbon a Beyer M260?  I was given one with a broken ribbon by a friend who shut up shop.  Thought I might give it a go myself if it's not a total nightmare.  Any good sources for the alli in Europe?

Cheers

B

Theres great guy on here in UK based who can do it for you....... cant think how to spell his we site x something audio...... will get back to you on that he is great guy....

Ive done it myself  but need the right ribbon & so easy to break it, you can corrigate the ribbon yourself but thats not how beyer did they kinda embsed there ribbon not sure if its possible to DIY that but some say the corrigated is better anyway, I like the beyer myself but its fun to experiment.

Hi Gary, Thanks for the recommendation!

Burglar - if you're in Europe then drop me a PM or email, or message the website.

Stewart ;)

burglar said:
Hi Folks,

Anyone know how tricky it is to re ribbon a Beyer M260?  I was given one with a broken ribbon by a friend who shut up shop.  Thought I might give it a go myself if it's not a total nightmare.  Any good sources for the alli in Europe?

Cheers

B

Re-ribboninng is not difficult(I made some DIY corrugation tools for that),but the vintage ones will have weak magnets, you have to change the magnets with deodym parts.

I did re-ribbon a m260 and it is very difficult.
You definitely want to do a few big ribbons first. The beyer is short & thin (1" by 1/8" about). Much more difficult than the large ribbons.
But it was successful in the end after many tries.
I did a corrugated ribbon while the original ribbon had a piston configuration I think. The piston configuration means that the ribbon is shaped into a radius lengthwise.
Samar Audio in the US offers the service to re-ribbon with the piston type configuration. But I'm not sure they are still functioning as I've not been able to get in contact with Mark lately with email.
http://www.samaraudiodesign.com/RibbonMicMods.html

SAMAR and Mark are still going as far as I know, but very busy with their microphone business.

>but the vintage ones will have weak magnets, you have to change the magnets with deodym parts.

Have you tried that in an M260?

From my experience and measurements the beyer motors stay magnetised until something catastrophic occurs, like a glue failure or getting dropped, and then they seem to lose power. I've measured several very early M260s that are still completely fine.

dmp said:
Samar Audio in the US offers the service to re-ribbon with the piston type configuration. But I'm not sure they are still functioning as I've not been able to get in contact with Mark lately with email.
http://www.samaraudiodesign.com/RibbonMicMods.html

We are still functioning and usually, return all emails. If we did not it means for some reason we did not receive it. Try again:
mark(at)samaraudiodesign(dot)com 

As for the M260 I have very similar with Stewart experience--out of hundreds of all possible vintages, which came through our shop I can remember only one, which had a few dB down because of losing magnetic field.

Best, M

Back