recomend me an inexpensive PC laptop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

What a good inexpensive PC laptop. Need it for running basic software like word, and file maker but also need it for progrmas like altium designer and the equivalent. Any suggestions., would be cool if it did touch screen too but then again that might remove it from the inexpensive category

To run altium I would recommend at least an intel i5 or equivalent AMD (I don't really know much about AMD now days). The i3 where I run altium wouldn't like to do it, if you are using it much and want smooth experience go for an i5, which won't be so inexpensive but a much better alternative for the use. If altium is just once in a while for small stuff, not rendering 3D models, etc. and i3 may be enough. I don't really know about any specific model I could recommend.

JS

As long as you're not looking for bleeding edge performance...how much are you looking to spend? Here's some decent performance for around $200: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=17&sel=Price%3BPrice4

Ethan said:
As long as you're not looking for bleeding edge performance...how much are you looking to spend? Here's some decent performance for around $200: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=17&sel=Price%3BPrice4
The MOST important feature for a laptop is reliability .. especially if you rely on it for work.

Reliability has gone steadily downhill.  In da previous Millenium, Toshibas & IBM laptops could be relied on to last 10 yrs.  Today, 2 yrs is normal and 5 yrs. is excellent.

On that basis, the Lenovo (ex IBM) T61 from Ethan's link is the best .. provided it runs what you want .. ie has i5 CPU bla bla.

Also it has Windoz XP drivers.  Running XP uses half the resources of Windoz 7 & later ie programs run faster & more reliably.  Later machines dun hav XP drivers.

If you replace laptops every 2 yrs, just ignore everything I say here.

About 3 years ago I bought a demo Lenovo T510 after having owned Dell, HP and one other which escapes me now.    I5 dual core CPU, 4 gigs ram, 15" screen for equivalent of $350.

It is a really solid machine has always had enough  power for all the tasks asked of it. I know that when I need a  new machine, this is where I will look.

I bought my daughter one of the cheaper Lenovos which performs well, but the lid hinge is held together with gaffer tape. It has a different case structure from the business machines, not as solid.

Peter

Back