Recommend a Capsule for the Oktava MKL-5000 tube mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember the repeated mention that German components were used and that they were in the tradition of German microphone classics.
I would say that every Russian microphone brand is in the tradition of German and Austrian microphones. Much reverse-engineering and copying then developing is in evidence from the early days.

I would say that every Russian microphone brand is in the tradition of German and Austrian microphones. Much reverse-engineering and copying then developing is in evidence from the early days.
While i get what you mean i wouldn't agree every one is. Oktava 319/219 has nothing in common with any German or Austrian mic i am aware of. There is also unique 3 backplate k67 variant currently made by Soyuz. Nevaton has some fantastic and unique mics. Also, take a look at this one.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/ekran-21a-5-lomo-microphone.68102/#post-866048

While i get what you mean i wouldn't agree every one is. Oktava 319/219 has nothing in common with any German or Austrian mic i am aware of.

I was going to say exactly that,
I never saw anything similar to those types of microphones, either the circuit the capsule or the body.
It seems to me that it's really a Russian original, build and looks are quite Russian Style.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has an Oktava and some “friend” of his was going to clean the capsule with metho and a cotton bud - luckily my friend called me in time! The one you posted pics of looks like they cleaned it with Brasso. That looks like a copy of a K67 - the frame screws are larger heads than the K67’s I’ve seen and also cut into the inner annulus which I don’t recall seeing on any before other than clones.

While i get what you mean i wouldn't agree every one is. Oktava 319/219 has nothing in common with any German or Austrian mic i am aware of. There is also unique 3 backplate k67 variant currently made by Soyuz. Nevaton has some fantastic and unique mics. Also, take a look at this one.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/ekran-21a-5-lomo-microphone.68102/#post-866048
All those are later developments. To be fair, let's not limit it to Russians, everybody making condenser mics is standing on the shoulders of Georg Neumann.

All those are later developments. To be fair, let's not limit it to Russians, everybody making condenser mics is standing on the shoulders of Georg Neumann.
I've been saying that for years, couldn't agree more, however there are some outliers. 319 capsules have really nothing in common with AKG and Neumann, but yes all of them are based on Braunmuhl and Weber papers. They are the OG. Neumann is based on those as well.

Really hard to draw connection between VIP-50 rectangular capsule and Neumann.

DPA can really be proud, their microphones are entirely new stuff, not relying on B&W at all for creating directional pattern.

Here are some images.

Vip-50
Screenshot_20231219_145353.jpgScreenshot_20231219_145339.jpg

Oktava
Screenshot_20231219_144743.jpg
Dpa cardioid
Screenshot_20231219_150257.jpg
Screenshot_20231219_150234.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back