Recommended contact cleaner ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

It's coming time to buy some again, I've avoided the ones with lubricant for the idea of that
it holds dust or contaminants but is de-oxit  better or will any generic stuff be just as good
what does one look for [ do you check the list of ingredients like grocery store ? ]
And burnishing tools wearing away layers of metal doesn't seem like a good idea , same cleaner ?

And ................. just to stir the pot cause some of you like that , any experience / opinions on
Stabilant 22 ? 

Stabilant 22.   

I had some switches and edge connects in a synchronizer years ago that were intermittent contacts.  They were constant problems and cleaning them on a bi weekly basis.
My only experience with Stabilant was at that time.  It fixed the problem.  Over the years I have not done as much tech work and have a couple of cans of the original blue shower that works great at cleaning up problems in an old API console I have.  I may try some more stabiliant when the  last can runs out. 

I'm interested in the experience of others.  I use Craig deoxit and feel sometimes if I don't clean with blue shower first the deoxit does not fix the problem.  This console is from the 70's so things are getting very old now. I welcome others opinions.

Stabilant 22 is not a cleaner, it is a conditioner.  Using it on dirty contacts is like waxing a dirty car.  I stay clear from it because it is highly conductive and has burned me in the past.

It really isn't a one size fits all answer.
For a connector contact cleaner I use anhydrous isopropyl alcohol (don't need it much for tape paths these days), or "blue shower" type pressurized flushers.  Deoxit is a good deep cleaner, but it has to be removed as per the instructions.  My experience is that no one does that, and I have not found any instances of resulting "capacitance" causing any problems.

For conditioners I am partial to the Caig progold for connectors/switches and f5 for faders and pots.  Neve always spec'ed Electrolube but it also has some Stabilant 22 reactions.  If I am doing a huge switch job I try to use actual switch grease that would be used in manufacture.

If I have to spray into something sealed that cannot be directly wiped with cloth or swab I will usually flush with a pressurized TCF type cleaner and then condition according to the component.
Mike

For a number of years, I've used "QD" contact cleaner made by the CRC company.  I first encountered it in the electrical parts aisle at Home Despot <sic>.  It is a non-residue, quick drying aerosol claimed (and nothing to the contrary found by me) to be plastic safe.

In more recent times, I discovered CRC was marketing a VERY similar formulation with the same "QD" name via auto parts stores...and in the auto chemicals aisle at WallyWorld.  Wally pricing is almost half that at Home Despot.

Bri

Latest posts

Back