redco custom cables

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulletchuck

Howdy, everyone.  I was looking at having some custom cables built cuz it takes me 10 minutes to do a TRS->TRS cable, and i'm getting the mic pre module for my symphony, which has 2x DB25 ports and 4x TRS ports on it.  definitely don't want to deal with soldering cables.  So, i was poking around the redco site cuz Apogee told me to have them build DB25->TRS cables since apogee doesn't sell them directly and I didn't want to deal with making my own.    I didn't like not knowing what the pice of each part was when you do a custom cable build, so i dug thru the source code of the site, and found where they keep that info.  I've created a spreadsheet with shows all the prices per component for these cables :)  it should help speed up the process of determining which XLR connector to use, for example, now that you can see how much Redco is selling them for in their cables. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjUCp_VWIIDBdG9QMzVYVDhPMGFVR1B3dW1FTElESHc

the DB25, TRS and 4/8 channel stuff is in bold because that's the type of cable I was going to build ;-)

it's interesting to note that the price of each individual connector is a bit less than half of what mouser charges for 1x component.  however, if you look at the equation at the top, you'll see the total price is (Parts * 2.07), so the price is pretty close to what mouser charges per component.  It's really on the Overhead cost that you account for how much it costs to actually build the cable, compared to if you bought the parts yourself..

. . .and how you value the opportunity cost of your time.  Though don't order through the cable builder, because you will get a quantity break when ordering six snakes that does not exist in the website math.
Mike

Back