Reddish 500 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll echo what Herbert said. Tayda is great. I have heard that their IC selection is a mixed bag in terms of reliability, and although I've avoided ICs from them for that reason (and because I can get most of those from other sources), everything else I've ever ordered from them has been good quality for a good price.

[caught a missing trace] -- WOE be to those who do not listen!!!.....

In all of my previous response comments I have made to you within this thread, I have offered -- TONS -- of PCB-design guidelines, information and techniques!!! And, I have offered you the opportunity for me to only only review your KiCAD PCB-design file, but to also run your GERBER and N/C Drill data files through my "GERBER Analyzing & Editing" program!!! All of this would have caught your missing trace and more than likely would also probably exposed many other issues within your design that you aren't even aware of!!! But.....who in the heck wants to listen to some "Old Fart" who has been designing PCB's and electronic equipment for over 40-years??? Nobody here.....that's fer sure!!!

And.....I also bet that you didn't run a "Back-Annotation / Forward ECO" routine on your design either, right??? That right there would have caught your missing trace before you even generated your GERBER files!!! But, what do I know?

Offer still stands, though.....

/

Well, Midnight, I guess you don't remember that when I started this project a year (or more) ago, I did converse with you through PM about helping me, and even sent you my files as they were at that time. The design wasn't in its best shape at that time, admittedly, so you were generous enough to provide me a critical reply much like the one you've given here, but never gave me any specific or useful help -- just told me I was doing it wrong and that I should know how to do it better. In the end, I brought this project to fruition through my own hard work and the help of a few select individuals who gave real assistance. The one missed trace had nothing to do with back-annotating, because I in fact missed it when drawing the schematic -- no Gerber analyzing software was going to catch this baked-in human error, regardless of how many thousands of dollars you paid for it. I respect your expertise (I'm nothing more than an amateur hobbyist), but given that you had the chance to help right from the start and instead offered nothing more than pedantic admonishments, I don't know that coming in now to clutter the thread with no less than sixteen video links and then criticizing me for doing my due diligence by having Herbert lend me a second pair of eyes is a very tactful move.

Now, maybe we can move away from this unpleasant side conversation and refocus the conversation. I have made the corrections to the board that I mentioned earlier, and am going to give it a final once-over this evening. After that, I'll get an estimate of cost, and hopefully by tomorrow I'll be able to post here with that info and start taking names of those who would like PCBs.

Hello everyone!

I took some time to check things over last night, as well as to look into cost. It looks like I'll be able to do a set of boards (a single channel involves a main board and three auxiliary pcbs) for $20 USD, and that could even come down a bit depending on how many folks join in. To keep the cost down, I will only have the main board manufactured with the ENIG gold plated finish (essential for the 500-series backplane connector), but will have the aux boards done with HASL, which is less expensive and likely what you're already accustomed to seeing on your PCBs. Otherwise the cost nearly doubles, rather needlessly in my humble opinion.

I will need to get shipping estimates once I have a sense of where I will be sending boards. For reference, the cost to ship boards to Ian in the UK and Herbert in Austria came out to ~$45 USD in each case. Shipping within the States will obviously be less, and shipping elsewhere in the world might be the same or more. This was the least expensive option I could find, but since I know we have members here who have more experience shipping things internationally, I'd be open to any pearls of wisdom you might have!

So I guess this is it! I will start taking names of those who would like to purchase PCBs. For now, I'm going to limit this to a single run of boards. I do not know if this is something I will do more than once, so if you have the interest and the means, please heed that disclaimer. Send me a PM or leave a post below expressing your interest and how many sets of boards you'd like to have. I'll keep it open for two weeks (ending April 10th), at which point I'll finalize the list and we can move forward with next steps!

I'd be up for one (better make that two!), will there be something worked out with Frank to get front panels and sleds?
If there is enough interest stateside, it would be good to do a group buy on the parts that have to be shipped internationally...

Last edited:
I'd be up for one, will there be something worked out with Frank to get front panels and sleds?
If there is enough interest stateside, it would be good to do a group buy on the parts that have to be shipped internationally...
I have provided Frank with the files for the front panel and L bracket, and he has already added them to his online shop (I'll link it in the BOM). The project also uses a small right angle bracket available from him. You can add everything needed on the same page of his shop.

My front panel file specified powder coating as the finish, but as you can see in Herbert's post, he ordered them with anodized aluminum instead and they still look amazing, plus I believe this will reduce the cost a bit, so keep that in mind when communicating with Frank about your order. I think either option is great, I just have a personal preference for the look of powder coating.

Hello everyone!

I took some time to check things over last night, as well as to look into cost. It looks like I'll be able to do a set of boards (a single channel involves a main board and three auxiliary pcbs) for $20 USD, and that could even come down a bit depending on how many folks join in. To keep the cost down, I will only have the main board manufactured with the ENIG gold plated finish (essential for the 500-series backplane connector), but will have the aux boards done with HASL, which is less expensive and likely what you're already accustomed to seeing on your PCBs. Otherwise the cost nearly doubles, rather needlessly in my humble opinion.

I will need to get shipping estimates once I have a sense of where I will be sending boards. For reference, the cost to ship boards to Ian in the UK and Herbert in Austria came out to ~$45 USD in each case. Shipping within the States will obviously be less, and shipping elsewhere in the world might be the same or more. This was the least expensive option I could find, but since I know we have members here who have more experience shipping things internationally, I'd be open to any pearls of wisdom you might have!

So I guess this is it! I will start taking names of those who would like to purchase PCBs. For now, I'm going to limit this to a single run of boards. I do not know if this is something I will do more than once, so if you have the interest and the means, please heed that disclaimer. Send me a PM or leave a post below expressing your interest and how many sets of boards you'd like to have. I'll keep it open for two weeks (ending April 10th), at which point I'll finalize the list and we can move forward with next steps!
Put me on the list for two sets!

OK, be aware of forum rule #3. Topics involving the exchange of money should be kept only to the Black Market or White Market.

Sales of goods or services should be done in the black market, or white market.

JR

https://groupdiy.com/threads/groupdiy-rules-read-before-posting-in-any-of-the-forums.6650/
Thanks John. I've never done this before, so I'm in new territory.

I'll start a Black Market thread (I'm not a commercial operation and I'm offering these at cost, so I don't think a WM thread is right for me). I'll link it in the first post of this thread. Anyone who has reached out or posted here to express interest prior to this post, you are already on my list. Anyone looking to add themselves to the list after this post can do so in the Black Market thread!

Last edited:
Back