Reforming Electrolytic Capacitors?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or just bin them and wash your hands. :cool:

JR

That is exactly what I did:cool:

Don't Bin them,
don't do that.
Some other people might find them useful, they might think diffidently and be confident to use them in whatever they want. sometimes our trash is another person's treasure.

You have a full bag, sell them in the Black Market or give them to someone,
like for example member "leadbreath" that seems to be interested

You have a full bag, sell them in the Black Market
I wouldn't have the heart to do that. 😇 Just a reminder, probably a large portion of these caps were not capable of holding a small voltage without spitting out vast amounts of an aggressive liquid. EOL.

Not a personal attack, but giving somebody known bad components for free is not much better.

The parts can still make a mess and damage other associated parts.

Buying good parts is still cheaper than using free leakers that trash your boards.

JR

Actually JR it’s sort of a personal attack as it’s been your tendency to bash any post I write, doesn’t matter the thread or the subject. It’s clear it’s personal

As for the caps, I was and I’m not sure by the info provided in this thread if the caps are actually bad or the physical leakage was due to the reforming process used.
I was not the only one to feel this was not clear as even another member asked to have the caps.
If the caps are actually defective I’m the first one to say “bin them”.
My suggestion to give them or sell them only applies of course if the caps are not defective , just old and NOS which might not give confidence to some people and really doesn’t matter to others.

Now I’m out of this thread for good,
the brewery has not been good for you JR, you clearly were not like this in the past.

I’m gone

Last edited:
Just a quick question Rock , when you tried regenerating the caps did you include any series resistance to limit the current ?

Just a quick question Rock , when you tried regenerating the caps did you include any series resistance to limit the current ?
Yes, I did. A 33k/ 2Watt resistor for each cap, fed with 30V from my bench power supply. See also post #9 and #11 and JR´s post #12.

Cheers

Actually JR it’s sort of a personal attack as it’s been your tendency to bash any post I write, doesn’t matter the thread or the subject. It’s clear it’s personal
Tiago, aren't you getting a little paranoid?
the brewery has not been good for you JR,
Has it ever been good to anyone? :)

I have to say I like the brewery , but I do feel some of you guys have ate and drank electronics perhaps to the detriment of personal development/world view to some extent , I cant hold a candle to ye in terms of hard math and the nitty gritty of the fine detail in electronic terms .

Me and JR have had a few moments where ,lets say we disagreed , there may have been a few barbed comments flew back and forth but I hold no ball of anger inside ,burning me up over it .
There was one contributor (you know who you are) who deliberately and purposefully went on the attack against me here,not even over my political views , what he said could not be misconstrued as anything other than a personal attack and the post was edited in good time by an Admin , I can only presume the intention was to not allow the divide to widen , fair enough , course Id snapshotted the original post , did I feel like playing that trump card to stir up shit ? no , it wasnt worth it .

We all take knocks in life and it isnt always fair , you pick yourself up ,dust yourself down , learn what you can from the situation and move on .

Back to the regularly scheduled capacitor reforming discussion...in my 2" Franketrack tape machine thread I posted I was able to reform the Mil Spec humongous caps and they seem to be fine, especially since this unit was held in an almost perfect storage environment (dry climate AC controlled, covered and all had drain resistors attached)...but this brings me to a different cap question that relates to smaller values in multilayer ceramics and orange drops...

Any small electrolytics are being replaced...but there are a few of those older green multilayers and some orange drops that I'm wondering about on a different "relay/distribution/power supply"...
I suppose the intelligent thing would just be replace them...but I do wonder about shelf life of these kinds of caps...

Attachments

• IMG_1304.JPG
    IMG_1304.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back