Replacements for BC184C transistor?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scrappersa said:
I read in another thread here that the MPSA18 (rotated 180 degrees)....
what he said
bockaudio said:
him too.

I'll add that this was recommended by Dan Kennedy years ago, I think it was confirmed that he uses this in the great river pre. To use it in the EZ1290 boards you just flip it around.

FYI, mpsa18 is marked as obsolete on mouser... (Well, the plain Fairchild variant).

Also, bc109c is only available from central semi and non-stocked on mouser.

Has anyone thought about maintaining a forum approved list of substitutions for some of the regularly used components?

I'm sure we must all be going away and doing the exact same research at the moment, so might be worth thinking about...

I have tried almost all of the above mentioned replacements in Neve circuits, and these are my findings.

BC109C - Haven't tried it but it has a TO-18 case so might not fit nicely on the board
BC184L - Different pin configuration and will only have the same specs if it has a C at the end of it (BC184LC)
BC547C - Works
BC549C - Works
BC550C - Works
MPSA18 - Works but remember to switch it 180°

There are other replacements that will work too, but I believe NONE have as much DC current gain Hfe as the original BC184C (about 600-800 I think). I haven't done much comparative testing since I now have a stock of original BC184C, but I don't remember any noticeable noise difference between the originals and their replacements.

PM if you want some originals, or any of the other hard to find transistors. (BC441 and BC461).

I just bought 3000 BC550C, tested them all, and none had hfe less than 600.  Most were 650-670 which is fine for the BC184C replacement.  I could not hear nor test any difference in the circuits I used them in.  Just my $0.02.
Best,
Bruno2000

IIRC, the 184C is lower noise than a 550C ? Please correct me if i´m wrong, i remember this from some other thread...

I still have a bunch of BC184C, BC109 and BC214LC (diff. pinout) for servicing our series 80 Neve, but it seems difficult finding them now....

bruno2000 said:
I just bought 3000 BC550C, tested them all, and none had hfe less than 600.  Most were 650-670 which is fine for the BC184C replacement.  I could not hear nor test any difference in the circuits I used them in.  Just my $0.02.
Best,
Bruno2000

I bought 400 BC550C (I know, you win) and they have between 400 and 500, some have little more but non over 600, maybe I'm in the wrong country and they send the worst for here... Too bad for me.

JS

joaquins said:
I bought 400 BC550C (I know, you win) and they have between 400 and 500, some have little more but non over 600, maybe I'm in the wrong country and they send the worst for here... Too bad for me.

JS

I found that some multimeters shows different values of HFE. I did comparision of three mutimeters all shows different value of HFE. Two show HFE with difference of +/-20 but the third mm show difference more than 100...

ln76d said:
joaquins said:

JS

I found that some multimeters shows different values of HFE. I did comparision of three mutimeters all shows different value of HFE. Two show HFE with difference of +/-20 but the third mm show difference more than 100...

I also have the same problem.
All my DMM measure different values and the difference is quite high, can be from 20% to 50% difference in measuring. And this was done in 5 different DMM.
One DMM measures my BC184C in the 550 - 620 range, while other measure the same transistors in the 320 to 370 range.

Makes it hard to know who has the correct HFE values

Any advices of a device I could use to measure HFE that is precise and trustworthy?

Whoops said:
ln76d said:
joaquins said:

JS

All my DMM measure different values and the difference is quite high, can be from 20% to 50% difference in measuring. And this was done in 5 different DMM.
One DMM measures my BC184C in the 550 - 620 range, while other measure the same transistors in the 320 to 370 range.

Any advices of a device I could use to measure HFE that is precise and trustworthy?

Anyone knows whats the base current that HFE should be measured to select BC184C for a Neve 1290/1272 type circuit?

It's advisable to select at least the first one of each darlington config to higher than 600 HFE, but at what base current should the HFE be 600?

Whoops said:
Whoops said:
ln76d said:
joaquins said:

JS

Anyone knows whats the base current that HFE should be measured to select BC184C for a Neve 1290/1272 type circuit?

It's advisable to select at least the first one of each darlington config to higher than 600 HFE, but at what base current should the HFE be 600?

Ok, let's slow down. The exact value of the HFE does not matter, it shouldn't. It doesn't care if one DMM measures twice as much as another. The HFE changes hugely with conditions, and DMM are really bad at get any estimate about that value, it's a baaad thing to use that HFE value to do any math. In fact, a circuit shouldn't rely at all in that value.

DMM provide a easy and dirty way of measuring such value at one condition, you could compare 2 transistors with it, and find two alike each other. In a diferential input pair, at an opamp, HFE has little to do of how it works, but it does play a role in the bias current at the base. Having a larger HFE makes lower bias current at the base and higher hFE makes higher signal gain in the first stage, both good for noise performance. Having similar HFE makes lower current offset, not a big deal either in audio applications.

VBE matching determines the offset input of an opamp, also not the best thing to measure as  a diode with a DMM but it gives an idea. My goal was to measure the few hundreeds of transistors to sort them out and not end having tens of mV offset, or hundreeds in HFE differences. I wouldn't use that matching for a precision log converter or a low offset discrete opamp for metrology application.

I also measure at room temp, no time to settle, connect the transistor, count to 5 to get a steady reading and take note. A proper measurement of those two values would be with the transistor biased as in the actual circuit and in thermal balance after a while of heating with that bias. In there measure the base current and the collector current and that would give the HFE, the VBE is a direct measurement, much greater matching of VBE could be archived using a transistor as reference and measuring the difference between that and the DUT. That way you can use a lower range (if your DMM supports a lower range) and get better results.

To measure hFE you should introduce a signal to the circuit and mesure the AC current at base and collector, that ratio will give hFE. I don't think vBE has any impact in audio applications, but the AC voltage between base and emitter could be measured with signal and from there and AC current at the base the rπ or hie could be estimated. While you are at it measure the AC voltage between collector and emitter and you can build the model of your particular device and play it in spice. You are still missing the capacitances that Miller will ask you for, but for our <20khz world that hardly matters.

JS

Thanks for the post Joaquins,
I understand what you explained but what I was asking is simpler than that.

Madrianse and Joe Malone advise this:

"all 1073/1290's, these preamps have some hiss ("Neve haze"). They are not dead quiet, but the hiss shouldn't be distracting unless you're recording quiet sources with ribbon mics. The noise floor specs can be improved somewhat by hand-picking BC184C's for HFE higher than 600 (especially the first one in the darlington config)"

so my question is "HFE higher than 600" at which base current?

> "HFE higher than 600" at wich base current?

Not Base current. The circuit surely stabilizes the Collector current. That's where you want to measure.

An educated guess is 200uA (0.2mA) Collector current. But I have no bucks on the table, _you_ should get verification.

Yes, yes, it is easier to force a Base current and measure Collector current. Also we know we probably don't care outside a 600 to 1200 hFE range.

So figure 200uA/1000. 200nA. Say 9V through a 40Meg resistor. Put 9V through 40K in the Collector. Take the transistors which read the lowest Collector voltages. You want lower than 4V (hFE~~600). If the Collector nearly bottoms (under 1V), the result is imprecise, but hFE is over 950 which is about as good as it gets.

Quick question on the MPSA18 as a 184c substitute. Looking at the two data sheets, the CBE pinouts are the same. Would I need to still reverse the MPSA18 in relation to the 184c for all applications or just the ez1290? I'm subbing 18's in an opamp that uses 184c's and I'm just wanting know if I still need to reverse them even though the pinouts are the same.

Thanks!

Paul

I think you need to look at the datasheets again.  Looking from the flat side, the 184 is CBE  the MPSA18 is EBC.
Best,
Bruno2000

Holy Crap.

I tried to double check between the two pages and I could have swore I was seeing them same when they they were oriented the same way. I had to stop and draw it out by hand. Maybe the old dyslexia is flaring up. Holy crap.

Carry on, everyone.

Thanks!

Paul

jrowell said:
This lets you put the correct 600 Hfe or above transistors in the first positions of each gain stage.
James Rowell

Sorry but this is simply not true,
you don't need BC184c with HFE above 600 for Neve circuits.

Neve never selected any BC184C transistors for hfe on any gain stage,
so saying that "600hfe is  the correct" is not true.
The only correct thing is that Neve used BC184C or BC107 in the BA283 cards, hfe was never measured.
This is just an urban myth that somehow spread into the forums.

Also 600 HFE doens't mean anything without a base current value. With a different base current the same transistor can measure 500 or 630.

ln76d said:
Fairchild BC184C are on ebay.
This searcher is sometimes helpful:
http://alltransistors.com/

Most (if not all) of the BC184 on eBay have hfe of around 400.  I've been using  MPSA18 with great results.
YMMV
Best,
Bruno2000

you could build a jig which represents the circuit in which the transistor is used,

plot the parameters on the data sheet load line and see how it looks,

you could even apply AC and check the amp factor of each transistor,

measure V-ce for further matching,

we used to match 2N4124 for V-ce not exceeding 2 volts because anything over would tell a PLC input that the port reads off.

device power rating will dictate how much supply voltage you use if doing a Ic/Ib test,
heat will make I-c drift upwards so work fast if meter moves,

we hook a 1 K base  resistor in series with an HP dual 40 volt supply and wire the collector right across the second rail, what is the max I-c of the transistor, 200 ma? then raise V-be till you get maybe 50 ma I-c and read current off the supply meter, hook volt meter across 1 K base resistor, 1 volt = 1/1k= 1 ma

50/1 hfe 50    for hfe = 600 types, you would have 50ma/600 = .083 ma = 83 mv across the resistor,

here is a dual supply setup, 9 volt batts for non millionaires,

note for PNP you want to undo the gnd jumper at the banana plugs,

Back