Replacing a SMD chip with a thermal pad

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I have to replace a 64 pin SMD chip with a thermal pad.
Since I am not very experienced in hot air soldering, I am afraid I will be overheating the chip while soldering the thermal pad under the chip.
Removing the old chip is not a problem, I cut all the pins and heat the chip until it comes lose. It is defective anyway!
Now, would it be a problem if I would use a thermal conducting compound under the chip, instead of soldering the thermal pad to the PCB?
Soldering the 64 pins by hand would not be a problem.
(The thermal pad is connected to ground, together with a couple of 'normal' pins of the chip.)

Modern SMD chips are pretty robust thermally. You can probably find data about reflow temperature profiles for the chip family. I wouldn't be too concerned about overheating.

Are you using solder paste on the thermal pad? You can remelt solder on the pad (with some fresh flux) but paste will be easier to work with . 

JR

En alle pootjes samen solderen en daarna met zuiglitse de tussen verbindingen weghalen is ook een optie.

Het thermische contact zal belangrijk zijn, anders was de huidige niet stuk gegaan...

Nee, de huidige chip was gewoon elektrisch defect! ( NIet veroorzaakt door oververhitting.)

No, the current chip was electrically damaged! (Not caused by overheating.)

Back