Resistance on sleeve in xlr 1/4" combo jack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethmopod

I've been reading this forum now for a while and I've learned a ton.  Thank you to everyone who is a part of this!  I'm in the process of making some significant upgrades to my home studio and building some things seems like a great way to go.  To bone up on my soldering and electical knowledge before I try something complicated, I've been making a lot of cables and reading some books, and I've come up against my first issue:

I've made a short 8 channel snake that goes from DB25 to xlr female that will interface to an AD converter I'm about to buy.  On 4 of the channels, I mounted Neutrik combo jacks and put them into a small metal frame that I'll screw into the back of my rack (the idea being that I could run the output of a mic pre or a keyboard/guitar pedal to it).  When I hooked up an ohm meter to a plug inserted into the jack, this is what I've found: Pins 1, 2, 3, tip, & ring all register 0 ohms to the appropriate DB25 pin.  The sleeve on the 1/4" jack, however registers a dancing reading that averages around 10 ohms.

I have not left a cold solder joint as all 4 of the jacks behave the same way.  Also, if I stick my meter lead up inside the jack and press it to the sleeve lead, there is 0 ohms.  There seems to be an issue with the physical contact inside the jack to the sleeve on the 1/4" connector.

Here's the real question:  does this resistance along the ground path of the cable render the 1/4" plug degraded or useless, or can that resistance be safely ignored?

Sorry to be so long winded for what looks like a simple question.

Latest posts

Back