Restoring and old Neve desk - DONE!!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome and very inspirational!  Thanks so much for sharing.  Lots to learn.

No EQ modules?  Are you using a jumper on the connectors in the EQ buckets to bypass the missing EQ modules?  Is the desk set up without mic ins?  Is it set up just for monitoring / mixing?  That works!

Excellent thread. 

PS: I would also be interested to know what the owner is using for power supply, or if you updated the PSU?  Is the desk using the original PSU?  Did you recap the huge caps in it? 

Cheers.

Hey API, I was wondering if you had any knowledge of this Neve fader module I have. It seems to be a stereo buss of some kind but I was curious about how it could be used on it's own. Pics are here https://imgur.com/a/1mlTO
Thanks

Thanks Electrog and Tommypiper!

Right now i just own a few of the HP/LP 2065 modules that i modded with micpres,  i had to sell my other input modules to raise money.
But i have just bought a 31104 module that is on its way from Canada.
I do have plans to make my own input module based on the 1084 further on.
But to answer your question Tommypiper i have put jumpers on the inputmodule connectors so it works as a line-in only desk at the moment.

About the powersupply i have bought a brand new Acopian 10A supply for the desk, works like a charm.

API,
Sorry for necro-posting this but I was really intrigued by your write up on this restoration. I have an 8014 that's in decent shape but there are alot of 'issues' that I'm dealing with which just plain irritate me that you seem to have resolved. I'd like to pick your brain on a few topics and can chat over email if it's better but you have to tell me....WHERE did you order the parts to put those LED's in? I'd like to convert my desk from the lamps to LEDs but I don't want to kill the retro look of the desk. The silver trim on your LED holders makes it look really close to the stock fixtures. Very classy.

duskb said:
API,
Sorry for necro-posting this but I was really intrigued by your write up on this restoration. I have an 8014 that's in decent shape but there are alot of 'issues' that I'm dealing with which just plain irritate me that you seem to have resolved. I'd like to pick your brain on a few topics and can chat over email if it's better but you have to tell me....WHERE did you order the parts to put those LED's in? I'd like to convert my desk from the lamps to LEDs but I don't want to kill the retro look of the desk. The silver trim on your LED holders makes it look really close to the stock fixtures. Very classy.

Sorry for the slow reply.
Here are the led holders i used for the desk.
http://se.farnell.com/arcolectric/a104800aab/led-holder-5mm-t-1-3-4-leds/dp/145470?CMP=i-bf9f-00001000

Please note though that you need to drill out the holes slightly in the frontpanel.
Original lamps are about 1mm smaller in diameter.

Whoops said:
Do you have some final photos of the console?

What will be it's destiny now?

congrats for your amazing work and dedication

There are lots of pictures on the previous page!
The desk went to a private studio in Norway.

Thank you so much for the nice words.

Whoops said:
Not with the desk completed with all the modules

Yes, I'd like to see the entire thing, too.

Maybe the guy that bought it would take a picture of the whole thing, in it's new native environment. Just ask, I'm sure he would love to show off his studio with his new Neve in it.  ;)

Gene

Aha, ok i understand!
I actually have not heard from the guy since i sold it, even though i tried to contact him just for that reason to get some pics.
But if i do get some i will post them here.

I am not realy that fast!
I actually started the restoration several months ago and just took pictures all the way.
Havent realy had time to post the until now.

So, even if i was happy with the work i had done so far, that sawed off bucket did not give me any peace of mind....
I just had to restore this desk back to its former glory, it realy deserved better than to be an amputee, so i made up my mind and went back to work....

First i removed one of the sidepanels and did some basic measurements (please be gentle even though i wrote the measurments in cm..... Will not happen again!)

With that i created a cad drawing with the help of my friend and after several revisions we had a verison that was extremely close, if not identical to the original panel.

Off to the metal shop.....

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Hi API, Super impressed by your restoration. I am currently building some 1073 modules and thinking about building a small 16 channel desk from parts. Are you able to share your CAD files for the side panels? All the best, stuartpre.

Latest posts

Back