Retroreflectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I found this talk about retroreflectors by Michael Ossmann , he's the designer of the Hack RF . The interesting thing is even a standard USB keyboard without modifications may be vulnerable to the attack .

Last edited:
If close enough, you can even read RAM contents because it radiates enough RF too.

But, as scary as these attacks are, they remain very impractical. It's more for "Mission Impossible" scripts. It's much easier to use psychology and seduce or threaten people to give up passwords...

Ive been wanting to try SDR for a while , the Malachite receiver looks good , the Hack RF software might not be quite as elaborate or mature but it can transmit also .
I note Michael Ossmanns repurposing of the Hot Wheels radar gun as an 'illuminator' for some of his devices . of course your right ,the practicalities of this stuff in reality are difficult , even his bench test didnt quite work as intended or was somewhat unreliable .

I had one of these USB TV receiver things and played around with SDR software a couple of years ago. In the end, I had no application for it and I now don't even have SDR installed.

Ive been tempted to get into Ham radio a long time , I should have done the liscense and got the ticket years ago
I had planned to start a SDR project with a buddy who lives in the mountains about 60km away , just to test how lower powered signals might be skywaved or bounced off the ionsosphere . It ended up shelved due to covid .

The Malachite V4 looks nice , solid aluminium case and improved encoders , stand alone li-on powered but can be used via the computer and third party software if you want . There also seems to be different firmwares available opening up the option of all kinds of other RF mischief .It doubles up perfectly as a stereo table top radio with an FFT display .

The hack Rf is half duplex but paired up with the malachite on the receive end makes a nice compact two box ham radio setup , no computer required ,all kinds of really good third party open source ham/SDR related software is there if you want it though . More transmit power could easily be bolted onto it if needed.
You get the abillity to receive/transmit or scan from 1mhz-6ghz on the HackRF and 50khz to 2ghz on the Malachite , you have nearly the entire radio spectrum covered .

I found a diagram of the device planted in the US embassy in Moskow the 1940's , it couldnt be any simpler ,
of course it needed to be energised externally .

Be aware, theres many ways you could get yourself in trouble by misusing these devices , jamming GSM communications could be both dangerous and against the law , impinging on peoples privacy in an unwarranted way is likely to lead to nothing good .
You see the guys who invented this stuff , they hack their own device/phone or at least a willing audience member .

Attachments

• HackRF.JPG
    HackRF.JPG
    30.6 KB
  • Malachite V4.JPG
    Malachite V4.JPG
    20.2 KB
  • Retroflect.JPG
    Retroflect.JPG
    34 KB
Back