RIP Nelson Mandella

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad, if not unexpected.

But what a life! Most of us only can only aspire to a tiny fraction of what that man has done.

Just found that quote.

´I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.` (Nelson Mandela)

Truly remarkable.  I've been reading various peoples remembrances of him and am in awe of the ability to forgive, to reconcile, that equality was for everyone and that justice was more than retribution and to make these idealistic concepts reality.

peterc said:
Truly a great person, the only man who could have taken us through the transition from a completely misguided nation to normalcy.

RIP

Peter, has he become some what of a National Hero there, regardless of one's race or creed? I wonder what comparisons, if any,  can be made between him and Martin Luther King, here in the US?
I am amazed that he didn't leave prison after all those years with a lot of pent-up hatred. I think that's what a large part of his appeal has been, that he was apparently able to forgive and forget, for the greater good of the nation.
He seems quite saintly to me. RIP

desol said:
JohnRoberts said:
The world has lost a great man.

JR

But it's gained something even more...his legacy.

Lets hope... The vultures are already circling to pick at his bones. I have already seen laughable comparisons made to to other current politicians. At least it would be laughable if not so obscene.

Mandela is one of a small handful of historical characters, shaped by his personal circumstance, who rose above that circumstance to do the right thing. He leaves a powerful legacy, for the world to learn from. 

JR

Peter, has he become some what of a National Hero there, regardlessernment  of one's race or creed? I wonder what comparisons, if any,  can be made between him and Martin Luther King, here in the US?

Mandela was incredibly astute. What he instituted was a government of National Unity, so there was no opposition as such. He wanted to try and close the divides. This government lasted for about 4-5 years until the opposition pulled out and opted for the traditional setup.

Sport is huge in South Africa. Soccer is mainly supported by black folks, and rugby and cricket are white dominated. When we held the Rugby World Cup in 1995, we managed to reach the final (and win) and for the final Mandela came onto the field wearing a Springbok jersay (our national team is the Springboks) with the captain's number on the back. There was not a dry eye in the house and 65 000 people were roaring "Mandela Mandela" for about 2 minutes. I was completely floored.

He also instituted the Truth and Reconciliation Commission so those who had committed crimes (including Winnie Mandela) could provide closure for those who had lost loved ones and family members. It was an amazing process in one sense and shudderingly scary to find out what had happened.

Make no mistake he was a political animal, but his principles were unshakeable. He was not interested in hatred and retribution, just wanted to make our country into a great nation.

Latest posts

Back