RIP Queen Elizabeth II

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One newscaster said something like "Anyone younger than age 70 knows of only one British monarch."

That includes me. I'm a life-long anglophile.

Bri

What a fascinating individual. Born in royalty and spent her life in servitude of country. Was a mechanic and truck driver during world war 2, right towards the end of it but in military service none the less.

From biography.com on her war service.

" It took more than a year of debate before her family finally relented in early 1945, giving the now 19-year-old permission to join up.

That February she joined the Women’s Auxiliary Territory Service (similar to the American Women’s Army Corps or WACs), registered as inductee No. 230873, under the name Elizabeth Windsor. The ATS provided key support during the war, with its members serving as anti-aircraft gunners, radio operators, mechanics and drivers.

She underwent a six-week auto mechanic training course at Aldershot in Surrey, and by July had risen from the rank of Second Subaltern to Junior Commander. She learned how to deconstruct, repair and rebuild engines and change tires, and learned how to drive every type of machine she worked on, including jeeps, trucks and ambulances. As a 1947 Collier’s magazine article noted of the overalls-clad teen, “One of her major joys was to get dirt under her nails and grease stains in her hands, and display these signs of labor to her friends.”"

Elizabeth took her ATS duties seriously, but the idea of a future queen repairing automobiles proved irresistible. Her enlistment made headlines around the world, with newspapers applauding the young princess’ commitment to the war effort and calling her "Princess Auto Mechanic." And though her parents had proved resistant to the idea of her joining the military, they were immensely proud of their daughter, paying a visit to her ATS unit in April 1945, with younger daughter Margaret — and a fleet of reporters and newsreel cameramen — in tow.

Elizabeth was still in the ATS when Germany surrendered on May 8, 1945, and she and Margaret famously slipped out of Buckingham Palace to join revelers celebrating in London. Her military service ended with Japan’s surrender later that year. "

I know us folks across the pond have a totally different view of the monarchy and style of government it provides but may she R.I.P.

Condolences to UK and the Commonwealth and her actual family.

And good luck to King Charles III and the working royals.

She was the only one I've known for the UK. She always seemed a true lady.

My wife and I were having dinner in a hotel by the sea celebrating our 49th wedding anniversary when the news was announced. Everyone was visibly shocked and there were some tears too. She was our rock and the one constant that tied us together as a nation. She is irreplaceable. King Charles III has the uennviable job of taking over as head of state for one third of the world's people. Rest in peace ma'am, a job well done.

Ian

Last edited:
She never lost her marbles bless her ,
A friend of mine recalled seeing herself waft by in the Bentley along with an entourage of heavy set gents with black sunglasses in souped up cars , he caught her Highness eye , she held his gaze for a brief moment ,then looked away as the supersoldiers bore down from behind and drove on the cavalcade .
Her memoirs will have to be kept under lock and key a long time before seeing the light of day .

Latest posts

Back