Rode NT2a KM84 mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then i guess both Kingkorg and i understood that first post, just as it was written - adding a transformer on the output of the stock NT2-A circuitry. Nowhere was it mentioned that replacement of the circuitry was in the plan as well (despite that being the initial topic of this thread) 🤷‍♂️

Then i guess both Kingkorg and i understood that first post, just as it was written - adding a transformer on the output of the stock NT2-A circuitry. Nowhere was it mentioned that replacement of the circuitry was in the plan as well (despite that being the initial topic of this thread) 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, sorry for not being more specific but in my head it made sense at the time, so the idea is just a simple addition of the transformer to the output circuit of the mic to complement the already great characteristics of the rode, and just give it that extra edge of low end grit that the "trafo" (as i`m learning the terms) can give to basically any audio device that needs coloration .
I still have no idea about how to do this stuff as i`m just an artist/engineer and not too savy with the circuit parts .

and just give it that extra edge of low end grit that the "trafo" (as i`m learning the terms) can give to basically any audio device that needs coloration .
This is a myth for the most part. Like any component it depends how it's used. Like i explained in my previous post, there is not enough "juice" to give you coloration. Good transformers are designed to give least possible amount of it. So the better you go, the less coloration you get. Crappy ones will give you more.
Adding a transformer coupled DI box that can pass through, or generate phantom power in line with you Rode will give you the same effect as sticking transformer inside of it.

This is a myth for the most part. Like any component it depends how it's used. Like i explained in my previous post, there is not enough "juice" to give you coloration. Good transformers are designed to give least possible amount of it. So the better you go, the less coloration you get. Crappy ones will give you more.
Adding a transformer coupled DI box that can pass through, or generate phantom power in line with you Rode will give you the same effect as sticking transformer inside of it.
So that`s why they use expensive carnhill transformers in 73 clones, so that they can impart NO sound signature ? Both input and output lol....
Adding it inside the mic circuit versus a separate box will not be the same thing . I already have transformers in my outboard gear, cinemag , lundahl and carnhill .
The capsule in this mic is very nice, the circuit is quiet and dinamic, build quality is exceptional even though it`s not the most expensive i own.
I just need help in acheiving this sound, whether you "agree" with it or not isn`t the purpose here .

I think you and I are both new to this world of DIY audio (pardon me if I'm mistaken about that), so given we likely have similar understandings let me take a stab at explaining what I think KK and Khron are saying.

The original post did not just add a transformer, they modified the circuit completely, adding a FET stage that is driving the transformer in a more meaningful way, such that it does actually have impact where the NT2A circuit would not do that alone.

I'm probably also not fully understanding, but I think the point they are making is twofold. One being that this modification is far more than adding a transformer and two that the idea that a transformer in and of itself adds something audibly valuable is not necessarily true, what it might add is a function of how it works in the specific circuit (such as the examples you mention of well known transformer coupled circuits).

I think you and I are both new to this world of DIY audio (pardon me if I'm mistaken about that), so given we likely have similar understandings let me take a stab at explaining what I think KK and Khron are saying.

The original post did not just add a transformer, they modified the circuit completely, adding a FET stage that is driving the transformer in a more meaningful way, such that it does actually have impact where the NT2A circuit would not do that alone.

I'm probably also not fully understanding, but I think the point they are making is twofold. One being that this modification is far more than adding a transformer and two that the idea that a transformer in and of itself adds something audibly valuable is not necessarily true, what it might add is a function of how it works in the specific circuit (such as the examples you mention of well known transformer coupled circuits).
The reason i got in this thread is because of this picture that was posted by the person who modded it.
I undersdand there are more modifications needing to be made, but i`m willing to do it as long as someone can explain it a bit .
I also found this schematic .

Attachments

• 65054-e3e7092fb48f6e85cfe078bd383ebd3b.jpeg
    65054-e3e7092fb48f6e85cfe078bd383ebd3b.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 27183-e6db87a01f5284ab673b061ac0e64204.gif
    27183-e6db87a01f5284ab673b061ac0e64204.gif
    442 KB · Views: 0
So that`s why they use expensive carnhill transformers in 73 clones, so that they can impart NO sound signature ? Both input and output lol....
Adding it inside the mic circuit versus a separate box will not be the same thing . I already have transformers in my outboard gear, cinemag , lundahl and carnhill .
The capsule in this mic is very nice, the circuit is quiet and dinamic, build quality is exceptional even though it`s not the most expensive i own.
I just need help in acheiving this sound, whether you "agree" with it or not isn`t the purpose here .
So you compare topology of 73 preamp with circuit of Røde nt2a? I should say LoL to that. I'm saying it's not about transformer per se, it's how it's used. Carnhill transformers are dirt cheap, have you actually checked their price?

I can explain to you in detail how to add a transformer to your NT2a, but it would be exactly the same as adding a DI box inline, so i don't see the point.

I see exactly where you are coming from, and understand exactly why you believe otherwise, but good luck finding anyone here who can explain how to achieve adding a transformer to your mic while disagreeing with me that you won't achieve anything.

So you compare topology of 73 preamp with circuit of Røde nt2a? I should say LoL to that. I'm saying it's not about transformer per se, it's how it's used. Carnhill transformers are dirt cheap, have you actually checked their price?

I can explain to you in detail how to add a transformer to your NT2a, but it would be exactly the same as adding a DI box inline, so i don't see the point.

I see exactly where you are coming from, and understand exactly why you believe otherwise, but good luck finding anyone here who can explain how to achieve adding a transformer to your mic while disagreeing with me that you won't achieve anything.
So explain it to me in detail and let me see for myself what will be the result .
I see this is a place where people can get creative and achive different stuff using diy methods.
Instead of being patronising , be more attentive to the idea of experimenting because this is what we are passionate about.
I'm all ears sir 😁

Give me an email and I,ll send you a simultaneous recording of that modified NT2a with a stock NT1000, so you can see there is no coloration with the mod. Maybe if you add other kind of transformers, there will be some?

Yeah, sorry for not being more specific but in my head it made sense at the time, so the idea is just a simple addition of the transformer to the output circuit of the mic to complement the already great characteristics of the rode, and just give it that extra edge of low end grit that the "trafo" (as i`m learning the terms) can give to basically any audio device that needs coloration .
I still have no idea about how to do this stuff as i`m just an artist/engineer and not too savy with the circuit parts .
It can be done, I thought more. That would sound great. I just need to experiment with more transformers, with different ratios and cores.
The simplest is done with an independent Phantom source + transformer, without power from the preamp or sound card
Or with normal phantom power, but the transformer must be implemented at the very low output impedance of NT2a and galvanically separated, the balanced output transferred to the transformer, (the secondary can have a middle pin for powering the audio circuits and DC/DC converter)
U47fet works on a similar concept

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-25-00-21-32-750_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-25-00-21-32-750_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back