Roland SRV-330 LCD Pixels Not Working

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had much success cleaning that sort of rubber edge connector. It looks to be a generic type of display. Some of these led backlit displays are so cheap now on places like Amazon & ebay that I just tend to replace now on things like SPX90's and LXP15. Sometimes you need to refer to the data sheet because the pin out is slightly different, but that's not too big a deal.

I'm not sure that a generic LCD would work with this unit as the display has two separate sections.

MT_93_12_roland_srv-3_1_full.jpg

Actually, that's wrong!!!

This is the connector, running along the right edge:

View attachment 105642

I've tried cleaning it but it doesn't seem to have made much difference. The connection doesn't seem that secure so it could be that that's causing the problem with the display.
That‘s what I ment. Have you cleaned the contacts where the zebra is connected to on the PCB as well ? Also the connection needs a bit pressure (that‘s what the metalframe is for when it‘s installed) and the contactpoints have to be exactly in the right place .
If you look closely you will see that the missing pixels are whole vertical lines not just single pixels.
When you put it together with the metalframe, try to slide along the metalframe (put some pressure with the finger) where the zebra contacts are and you might notice that some lines pixels might disappear and come back again.
That helped me sometimes to get these missing vertical lines back.

Another idea was to reflow the pins of these two chips on the pcb. On the left chip some of the pins of the low row look strange (the 8th to 11th from left). Maybe it‘s just the picture, but all solderings look good except these.

I will also look up for a LED replacement in the FB group I‘m in. They are always very helpfull there and a lot of cheap recommendations for replacement can be found there. 👌🏻
Me myself exchanged some displays in a Quadraverb to blue LED ones. But these need some mods with a pot to adjust the contrast. But they are still very bright and a bit exhausting for the eyes 😅.
Better might be a fitting Oled display. 👌🏻

I‘ll check what they say in the FB group.
For getting a new display buydisplay.com is a good adress (but not sure if they got oleds)
also mouser is good for oleds. Had one from there for my Studio 440 👌🏻
But you need to know the right size and type.
I‘ll be back 😉

Another idea was to reflow the pins of these two chips on the pcb. On the left chip some of the pins of the low row look strange (the 8th to 11th from left). Maybe it‘s just the picture, but all solderings look good except these.

😉

Thanks for the help (y)

I did notice the pins that you mention. They're not as shiny as the others but they're so small that I can't really see their condition properly. I've never tried reflowing something like this so I'll have a look at how it's done.

Cheers!

Another quick update - I took the LCD apart.

View attachment 105639View attachment 105640

I can't really see anything obviously wrong. Possibly the SMDs on the right?

Something that had me scratching my head was "how is the data getting to the LCD"? Seemed like some kind of magic :ROFLMAO:

So after a bit of googling I came across "Zebra" connectors - I've never come across them before - you learn something new every day!

Now I get what 58Glammer was referring to (sorry I didn't get what you meant initially). I'll try cleaning the "Zebra" and see if it changes anything.

Cheers!
The white bar is the backlight by the way 😉

Thanks for the help (y)

I did notice the pins that you mention. They're not as shiny as the others but they're so small that I can't really see their condition properly. I've never tried reflowing something like this so I'll have a look at how it's done.

Cheers!
Yes you need a lupe 🔍 to work on that and the right soldertools. 😬 If you‘re not used to these small parts soldering, better let it be 😬. I‘m about to check the FB Display group. Some write it‘s custom made and a two part display, but when I see your pic, it just looks like a normal display to me 😅
TBC.. Edit: it‘s a two section display. I was laughing too early 😬

Last edited:
I'm not sure that a generic LCD would work with this unit as the display has two separate sections.

View attachment 105647
I checked the Display group on FB and they say it‘s Roland custom made.
I would try to find someone who can resolder the suspicious looking pins of the chips. Also would try to clean the zebra contacts on the pcp and would try to reassemble the display. If the pixelerror still occurs, I would live with it, as there seems to be no alternative replacement. 😢 Or you find a original spare one someone sells on ebay or reverb from a dismantled unit.
I‘m sorry.

Hello

I got one of these since 1994, in my unit the screen has back light, is not dark, but anything does appears.

I need a better screwdriver since i haven´t able to unscrew the 3 over the screen, only the ones of the upper case, connected and disconnected the 2 busses that go there and yet the screen is that way.

Does this display works as replacement? If not, could any please tell me a reference and where to get it?

https://www.buydisplay.com/3-3v-or-5v-blue-lcd-24x2-arduino-library-character-display-module
thanks

Recapping the psu might get it works? I also got the delay unit of the same series and the screen runs perfect.

Hello,

Bad news, a friend has recapped my unit but screen yet lacks of charachters, only backlight.

Any help please?

thanks

Latest posts

Back