Rotary switch alternative using a led driver

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

Hey all....would like to pitch an idea.

My project (an aux expander card for the Buchla 208) needs a 8 position rotary switch.
Thing is: this will not fit on the card.

As alternative I was thinking the following:
Use a small 9mm pot to send a voltage into a led driver(LM3914) in dot mode, which then (instead of a led) drives 2 CD4066 switches, all SMD off course...

Might there be a more elegant solution?

A typical application of IC LM3914 shows individual output control. If LEDs are replaced by resistors, the outputs can be IMO used to control TTL or CMOS logic circuits (inverted logic, low voltage means logic "1").

1657745973584.png

If you can accommodate 12.5mm diameter, Elma has one. I have one pole 16 position version but it also comes in two pole 8 position. Naturally not cheap but Grayhill may have similar cheaper.

Otherwise among so many options, a 3 bit binary coded rotary encoder and 1 to 8 mux such as 4051 will also be an easy job.

Attachments

• Elma.jpg
    Elma.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
The rotaries are definitely not an option.
Shift register is cool! Will look into that.

My suggested option of a 9mm pot > LM3914 > 2 x CD4066's has the advantage of instant control. You don't have to step through the register.
Also, the 9mm pot can be a CV input...

Designing these aux cards is a real puzzle. You have to deal with current draw (try to stay below 60mA per rail) , real estate (9cm x 16cm), parts costs and availability (100% price hikes, lead times of up to 1 year).

Here a photo of my previous card design, the sequencer aux card. This one has the option to switch between 8 or 7 steps by means of a toggle switch.

AnyConv.com__IMG_1296.jpg

I'm not sure, but I think they are outdated and no one makes them anymore. They can still be found on eBay.
Yes, I saw some on eBay. As a device they look ideal for a 12 segment display running from a 12V rail (the heater supply in my mixers!) which is why they interest me. Prices seem to vary alot from a few quid from China to over £20 each from some European sources. Makes you wonder about the provenance.

Cheers

Ian

I actually did that once with exactly what you suggested, for a de-esser I designed, it used the led driver into get switches. The nice thing was it could go up or down.

Latest posts

Back