Rotary switch alternative using a led driver

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you elaborate on this? I think I get it, but it's all quite new to me...
Can you point me to a specific part / pic? Or a data sheet maybe?
You can use, for example, PIC12F1571. This is an 8-pin chip that has enough I/o pins for what you want to do. I used it to make a relay based DPDT switch. PIC read the encoder data, switched relays via shift registers and displayed a corresponding LED with another shift register and LED driver.
It’s possible that you don’t need any shift registers for your task, and you can drive your circuit with 3 different PIC pins. You’ll need 2 more pins to sense the encoder. So, 5 I/o pins and you’re set.
Being on vacation, I don’t have any schematic at hand right now. I can dig it out at the end of the month if you need it.

EDIT. Given current chip shortages, 4017 may be the easiest, fastest and cheapest solution indeed.

Last edited:
Ok, let me translate this into my own laymans terms...
The encoder basically supplies the pulse which makes the 4017 advance trough the set amount of steps. Do I understand this correctly?

I’m not sure if you can interface rotary encoder to the 4017 directly.
However, you can pulse 4017 with a simple push button and it will cycle through any number of options of your choice.
So, if you have 3 options, you can configure 4017 to cycle through 1-2-3-1-2-3-1 etc. And you don’t need any programming environment to do that. Just don’t forget to debounce your button.

Latest posts

Back