Sandy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, the worst part about the hurricane for me personally is that I can't build anything because I don't have power. When I'm at school I study as hard as I can because I want to be a killer designer/tech one day. When I go home piecing things together brings back my sanity after so much hard logic. I have not slept at home since last Monday because there is no heat or hot water. The day after the hurricane was my birthday.. that went down the tubes. My moms area is pretty much destroyed. She was watching boats go by her house unattended from her window. Both her and her husbands cars were submerged and are dead. I will not have power back until the 9th as predicted by my local power company. I'm sick of being cold. I don't want any kind of pity, I just want to point out that it really sucks here. Especially near the coast.

This is in Brick NJ, my moms stomping ground.
http://www.google.com/search?q=mantoloking+bridge&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS497US497&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=0eKaUJHsIseK0QHUtoCwBw&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

The ocean cut a river through the island and went into the bay with huge swells of water.

It really blows my mind how unprepared the power companies are, and think about how much money we give that monopoly. Right now, I'm stuck at school because there is no point in going home.

I feel ya build... its pretty nice that you got an estimate when your juice will be back on.  We got a letter saying pretty much "dont hold your breath" so, its anyones guess as to when I'll be back on at my place.  Im losing a lot of $ from the studio being in the dark, i think i lost about 40 billable hours in the last 2 weeks and now this weekend I was supposed to have sat and sun all day booked.  Ive been trolling for a new project myself, think im gonna go for one of igors neve compressors... just need power to solder lol.

> just need power to solder lol.

Don't need no 'lectricty for that.

Find a _dead_ downed line. Cut a foot of fat copper off the end. Jam it in a handle. File the end pointy. Charcoal in a flower-pot to heat it.

The Soviet government studio soldering iron was a 16p- 16k rather nail in a piece of broomstick heated with a candle.  The stand was such that the tip heated when on the stand.
Mike

I have an antique soldering iron that I found at an antique store in (fredericksburg?) Virginia. looks like these
il_fullxfull.230781509.jpg

Back