Schematics and knowledge sharing thoughts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But why would you buy a new product from the same company whose previous product failed before it should have ?

JR

Good Question. They do though. Various permutations of reasons as I have observed and discussed ime. Product familiarity / industry standard (IBM effect) ; acceptance as industry norm; and - daft as it might sound - "we already have an account with them and don't want to increase vendor count".

I have purchased cheap-end power tools working in the boatbuilding environment as the rapidity of epoxy buildup made expensive tools a very costly exercise - the cheap power drills, angle grinders, jigsaws and belt sanders I could blow 4 or 5 of these to equal the cost of an expensive tool which would go anyway at around the same time. Even though the cheap tools failed eventually some outlasted their more expensive counterparts. Go figure…..

A company with a name related to heat refuses to share their schematics which is pretty funny.

Had a fairly new but noisy 76 from them in (which is maybe a rev D 1176 but with a BA283 style line amp? maybe?) -- turns out the BC184C transistors in the output stage were sketchy which is no surprise considering they've been obsolete for a long time (counterfeits? re-labeled mystery Chinese part?). Replaced with MPSA18 -- problem solved.

More importantly: the "Rubycon" capacitors in the unit looked preeeettyyy weird! The printed sleeves don't look remotely like any authentic Rubycon YXA caps I have ever received from Mouser or Digikey. Perhaps they should look into where their factories are sourcing these components.

When I contacted them for schematics or sevice info, they kind of just hinted at the fact that I should look up a stock 1176 schematic and figure it out from there lol... even though that isn't what their product is.
I can recognize this unit, and I have all the schematics(I do the local repairs for this brand:)

So.. you're saying that in an extremely high-wear environment, early failure is not necessarily a reason not to buy again.

Like among musicians....
Basically yes - I had a $29.95 battery drill which I bought as a chuckaway - it outlasted all the other guys on the boatbuilding teams Makita, Bosch, AEG etc even after a 7 metre drop onto a concrete floor it still worked - replaced the brushes and that’s about it. I still have the same philosophy about things that are high usage and wear - if you can get 5 for the price of 1 and they all have a 2 year warranty, that’s 10 years of usage with no repair bills (unless you abuse the item), compared to a high ticket purchase that may last 5 years but you have to pay for repairs after 2. Working recently in the luxury auto industry I found the workshop was sending off buffing tools etc. for repairs which cost more than buying a cheaper tool and either throwing it out or getting it repaired way cheaper as the parts were so much less expensive.

Back