Seeking a second opinion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
Don't neglect the possibility that when replacing the "faulty" cap, the tech may have displaced something, like the sitting of an IC in its socket or of a wire in a connector.

That's why I highly recommend to ship back as state on unit warranty  policy.  Sometimes fixing in one area can accidentally cause another problem in other area.

Script said:
Whatever his motives, in the above way he should end up with a working unit and be happy. You also said you suspect it's not about money ? If not that and if not disappointment, what then ?? Or is it something you couldn'thave done  much about in the first place ?

Anyway, question is: Do you think it's worth all the hassle?
He shouldn't have voided your warranty !

The problem is,  I'm not sure that the problem really exist at the first time,  I really confidence about this one,  but  he insist to use his tech guy,  and demand me to pay for him.

We have hard discussion  in a fb forum about a month before he place order,  it's look that he feel humiliated.  I start to suspect that he make it personal.  He deleted his conversation.

Scroll down :
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1458538374409630?view=permalink&id=1947325872197542

I ask 2nd opinion,  just to make sure I'm on the right track about my thought on the tech guy diagnosis report.

Best,
Simon

When I worked a bench stint as head of service there were a couple things I learned early on.
1. no matter what you offer for some it will never be good enough for some people
2.  no matter what you tell them if they have their mind made up there is little you can do.

As always things like warranty void if serviced by non authorized personal or similar language  help cover your butt when dealing with such issues.  I can't stress that enough and I did mention it already . Just because their friend might be a tech, does not mean they know everything about everything.

When I worked as head of service (head service tech) for a major pro audio company,  the best we could offer for difficult customers is, send it in and they cover shipping to and from our headquarters. We would repair it free.
A Typical  repair that was non warranty  for us was customer pays to ship it to us. We fix and bill for the repair and return shipping.  All Warranty repairs we covered everything minus shipping it to us.  That worked without issue 99% of the time.  But there was always that one customer who would insist warranty when out of warranty or if they picked up a used unit.  We did usually fudge the warranty dates so if it was close after it expired, we would just honor it.

The best thing you can do here is get the unit back to you for testing and fixing, offer to fix it for free as long as they get it to you.  while I would normally  say warranty void and they should cover repair costs, it might just be best to fix for free to keep them quiet.

pucho812 said:
When I worked as head of service (head service tech) for a major pro audio company,  the best we could offer for difficult customers is, send it in and they cover shipping to and from our headquarters. We would repair it free.
A Typical  repair that was non warranty  for us was customer pays to ship it to us. We fix and bill for the repair and return shipping.  All Warranty repairs we covered everything minus shipping it to us. 

That's the same warranty policy I give to all my work. I'm not an very busy guy,  even if warranty void I still willing to help if the problem take place.

I knew my work well,  I design most of pcb's my self,  I can repair any problem pretty fast for free, but I can't help if the customer refused to send the unit back.

simonsez said:
That's the same warranty policy I give to all my work. I'm not an very busy guy,  even if warranty void I still willing to help if the problem take place.

I knew my work well,  I design most of pcb's my self,  I can repair any problem pretty fast for free, but I can't help if the customer refused to send the unit back.

there is reason they will not send it.  What did they do😂

pucho812 said:
When I worked a bench stint as head of service there were a couple things I learned early on.
1. no matter what you offer for some it will never be good enough for some people
2.  no matter what you tell them if they have their mind made up there is little you can do.
1+
I'm not a tech and I'm not an FB guy, but that's pretty much my experience with people in other areas of life. With those who have their minds made up already, it most often ends up being a total waste of time. And humiliation (especially when not justified plus stubborn) is a very difficult one to cater to and amend.
--------------

Whether or not there was something wrong with the unit at the beginning (or even what), doesn't matter any more at this point. Impossible to go back in time.

Whatever the criticism and allegations concerning your design, you could easily look into that on the next unit you build. Just don't let it get to you.

You could still repeat your 'take-it-or-leave-it' offer -- don't do it for him, do it for yourself and the community. Also do it publicly on FB. But don't engage in any more discussions with them.

If you are the Jason Statham guy, offer it only once, better twice -- then close the case and forget about it  If you want to be nice, offer it three, maybe even four times -- then close the case and you will sure soon forget about it.

pucho812 said:
Yup the technical term for that is "snake-bit". Once a customers is snake bit they are inconsolable.

Of course I have a story.... Back in the 70's I had a customer for my kit company who was dissatisfied with one kit's performance. I was too busy to wrestle with him over his subjective performance evaluation, and decided to just refund his full purchase price and eat the loss... Not only was he not satisfied by the full refund, but then he accused me of taking advantage of his free labor to assemble the kit????

Some people go through life expecting the worst possible outcomes and that negative expectation bias can become a self fulfilling prophecy. It must suck to be them...

JR

Scodiddly said:
Sounds like they want to bully you into doing everything their way.  Maybe there was nothing wrong at all but the customer wanted a lower price?

more and more I suspect it's all because he feel humiliated after discussion we had  at FB that time, make it personal and take some revenge by making up story and spread it on the net.  I met peoples from many country, mostly nice peoples, only few bad, but this one is worst.

Thank you for all your opinion and advise, I really appreciate it.

best,
Simon

Klontz is iconic imo.....

Just Shake It Off

BTW....did you ever figure out this??

simonsez said:
My sec input Tx don't have ct, so i use two resistor connect to grid from CV, How to determine the right value of that resistor  and the dual pot on secondary tx? Thank you very much for your help....

Latest posts

Back